Sufferer I can’t feel my feet

• Thread starter I can’t feel my feet
  • Start date
I

I can’t feel my feet

New here. Hello! Trauma finally caught up with me after many years of stuffing (which apparently I have been very good at)…oh the secrets I’ve kept from myself!! Anyways…thankful I’m not alone (although that also makes me sad) and having the opportunity to read posts here at least makes me feel less isolated. Working through EMDR for just a couple of months now and overall it’s been a healing (if not a “it definitely gets worse before it gets better”) experience. I love my therapist and although it’s been hard, I know I can’t turn back. Today I experienced my toughest session to date…dissociation anyone? I think I ended up outside my “window of tolerance”…which makes sense since I was off the charts elevated. I was also unable to feel my hands and feet when processing my memory. We are going to have to definitely slow this one down. Thanks for reading. I’m sure I’ll have more to say again soon.

Sideways

Welcome to the forum:)

I haven't done EMDR. But I remember one of my inpatient programs, I was working with one of the physical therapists, and she ran me through some reflexology or something. I do a lot of exercise and stuff, but this was just her showing me how to roll this small rubber ball under the sole of my foot.

Long story short, I ended up in tears in the gym. Because I was standing there feeling my feet, and they felt good! One of those weird experiences that people who don't dissociate a lot probably wouldn't really understand.

The upshot of that is, welcome to the forum. And if you can't feel your hands and feet (and your circulation and internal wiring is all in order), then yeah, I get what you mean. And the day you can feel your hands and feet again, and you notice? It will be an awesome day. The hard work you're doing now will be worth it.