• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I can't tolerate antidepressants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

katesells

New Here
I've tried 5 different type of antidepressants and they just make me so sick. Theres no way I'm going to try another now! Wondering what my other medication options are for severe anxiety? Are antipsychotic drugs easier to tolerate?
Thanks for any help!

Which ones have you tried?

Citalopram made me feel extremely nauseous. That's an SSRI

Am currently on Mirtazapine, and I don't feel nauseous on it at all. I forget which type of antidepressant it it, but it's not an SSRI.

Am currently on Mirtazapine, and I don't feel nauseous on it at all. I forget which type of antidepressant it it, but it's not an SSRI.
NASSA, I'm on that too, and tolerate it waaay better than the four SSRIs I've been on before, separate times obv.

@katesells is it possible to speak to whoever prescribes to you n see if there's a difference group of antidepressants you've not tried yet?

Thanks!I've actually tried tried mirtzapine and citalopram. Both I had a terrible reaction on!
I also tried prozac. Terrible reaction again.
Also tried pregabalin. That was horrible too.
Need to try something really different.
I'm going to ask doctor next week if theres anything else I can try but if anyone has any suggestions I can ask for that would be great :) Thank you

I have terrible side effects on all SSRIs. Then I switched over to SNRIs like Pristiq, but the side effects persisted, even though most people tolerate them better. Then I tried a mood stabilizer, Lamictal, and it worked great with no side effects until I got a Lamictal rash. Now I'm on a different mood stabilizer, Tegretol, with no side effects so far. Fingers crossed.

Finding the right drug and dose is more of an art than a science because everyone's body chemistry is very different. The key is to be persistent and have a pdoc that you trust and is responsive to your needs.

I can't tolerate any antidepressants.My therapist told me to not even try anymore because of the adverse reactions I have from them.He said some people just can't tolerate them.

He also told me I need to just learn to live my life despite the pretty constant anxiety,which I do the best I can.

I do use medical marijuana though and it helps.

I can't tolerate any antidepressants.My therapist told me to not even try anymore because of the adverse reactions I have from them.He said some people just can't tolerate them.

He also told me I need to just learn to live my life despite the pretty constant anxiety,which I do the best I can.

I do use medical marijuana though and it helps.
Do you get medical marijuana from your GP?

Antipsychotics.
Benzodiazepines.
Mood stabilizers.
Etc.

I’m on Geodon (antipsychotic)
Ativan (benzodiazepine)
Trileptal (mood stabilizer)
Neurontin (whatever the heck it is, same “family” as Trileptal <anticonvulsant> but not actually a mood stabilizer, used for anxiety)

Antipsychotics.
Benzodiazepines.
Mood stabilizers.
Etc.

I’m on Geodon (antipsychotic)
Ativan (benzodiazepine)
Trileptal (mood stabilizer)
Neurontin (whatever the heck it is, same “family” as Trileptal <anticonvulsant> but not actually a mood stabilizer, used for anxiety)
Thanks for your reply. Every doctor so far I've met will only give benzodiazepines for a matter of weeks (very short term). Is this not the case with yours then?

I've tried various SSRIs, also mirtazapine, duloxetine, beta blockers, lyrica...possibly some other stuff. The side effects either were too intolerable, or they just weren't effective.

I'm currently on trazodone (which I think is one of the older type antidepressants) and I have a diazepam script that is only for use when I really need it and I'm not to use it more than three days in a row. I think it varies in different countries, I'm in the UK, and I know there's an understandable reluctance to prescribe benzodiazepines here. My GP and I monitor my use carefully. It has been a useful addition though.

Do you get medical marijuana from your GP?

No I don't, I get it from a dispensary. You will need to check into laws and how to obtain it according to where you live.I only know how it works and what the process is where I live.Im not sure how other states or countries do this.

No I don't, I get it from a dispensary. You will need to check into laws and how to obtain it according to where you live.I only know how it works and what the process is where I live.Im not sure how other states or countries do this.
I only tried it once and it made me feel seriously scared and paranoid. Maybe I had too much!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back