• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I don’t want to pay this woman to chit chat. what’s she doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure what she is doing.
Good thing to ask her about.

It is also good to think about what you are doing too.

You have full freedom to stop the conversation at any point and say: I don’t want to chit chat. I don’t want to talk about the zoo.

I need to deal with.... (fill in the subject of your choice.)

You can actually say no to subjects she asks about and brings up, including small talk subjects.

She’s there to help you and should not be enabling your avoidance. But when it comes down it to, part of the process involves us as clients owning and expressing our goals for therapy. Is it easy? No. It took time (and too many wandering expensive small-talky sessions) to finally be more direct and clear. It was scary to do at first, but so worth it.

What’s holding you back?

Ah. Ok. Makes sense.

But here’s the thing: you hired her to do a job for you.

She’s there to be with you in the journey, to guide you, coach you, and help provide. You actually have a lot of power and responsibility to communicate what issues you would like addressed in therapy.

It’s helpful to her to know the subjects you want to address. If you don’t tell her she has no way to know.

It’s good to tell her what you do want to address.

Last edited:
Those are all things about you. Your job. Your family. Your marriage. Your life.

Those topics can be super deep, or they can be superficial chit chat, or somewhere in between doing a status check / situation report: how is your day to day life going? looking for overall trends & or problem spots.

...if this is common
I’ve had therapists deliberately keep sessions light, when we’ve been doing heavy stuff for awhile. I’ve had them to a SitRep on my life every so often. I’ve also had some EX-therapists who ONLY (or predominantly) kept things all chit-chat. Nope I am not a paying friend. If you want me to pay you to hang out with you? You need to be a prostitute.

You have full freedom to stop the conversation at any point and say: I don’t want to chit chat. I don’t want to talk about the zoo.

This.

The ones who are keeping things light on purpose? When I speak up will say so. And explain why. And either I agree with them, or disagree, and we move on to other things.

The ones doing a SitRep? When I speak up will say so. And explain why. There have been a lot of -surprising- different reasons given, and I can’t think of one that hasn’t made absolute sense. Okay! Let’s break down the day to day.

The ones who just want a paying-friend? Tend to change the topic, blame shift, flatter me, deny they’re doing anything of the kind, oh! And did you hear about blah blah blah blah.... Distract, tangent, distract. :bored:

The first 2 are common in my experience. The last 1 I don’t really know, because I fire them / don’t come back.

She isn't in charge of you and a therapy session should be about what you want to talk about.I would write down everything that you want to talk about and show it to her and then hopefully she might get a better idea of what subjects you DO want to talk about.

Emotional Girl’s advice is what I do. I make a few notes through the week of things I havewell handled well or are worrying me or whatewell and we take that as our starting point UNLESS something came up the session before T thinkssession more work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back