• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I don't know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerapple

Confident
Hi. I didn't know what to make the topic.

I'm sure I am just making a bigger deal out of this as I always do, but I have a problem. I won this competition at university for free textbooks which is good. The problem is I have to take a picture for the school website to collect my prize, which would sound like no problem except that I don't like taking pictures.

Taking pictures make me feel so uncomfortable and icky. I just feel so grossed out about having to pose for a picture. I don't like looking at pictures of myself or taking pictures or even looking at my reflection because it just makes me feel really gross. It's just that when I was younger I used to have to do that. I would have to pose and have my picture taken while I was doing certain things. But I mean I dont know why its bothering me so much because it's not like that was the worse thing he did to me, and he only did it sometimes like when he was going to be away or I was going to be away, and its just pictures. Anyways, it's just making me feel so uncomfortable thinking about having to take the picture even though I know its different. Because it's not just taking the picture, but the fact that its going to be there for others to see and I just feel like they are going to be able to see everything, even though in my head I know they won't.

I just need some help on deciding if I should take the picture and if I so then what can I do that would help, or if I should not take the picture and just turn down the prize.

I have a completely different / exactly the same ;) issue with photographs.

How I’ve handled this thing in the past is to take a 3rd option (rather than turning it down out of hand or pushing through)... ask them if I can still do XYZ without havin my picture taken?

People are almost universally baffled when I ask this... most people looooooove having their picture taken only slightly less than they get all starry eyed about having their picture on public display... so there’s nearly always a stunned surprised What? Why? That follows.

So I have a stock answer. Is it the whole truth? Pfft. Not hardly. It’s just a condensed, easy for people to understand, tiny piece of the truth. Which is the most important thing about lying = keep it simple. Complicated truths? Are even worse than lies.

“There’s a stalking issue. I would really love to be able to blah blah blah, but if the picture is a line item, I’m afraid I’ll have to turn it down.”

8:10 there is absolutely no problem with this.
1:10 they’re actually thrilled, because it cuts down on their workload
1:10 it’s a requirement, so I thank them genuinely, and pass.

It’s 50/50 on whether I’m pressed for more info. Generally speaking no one over 40 ever asks for details, and everyone under 30 does. So I have a stock answer for that, too :p

“It’s not something I really like to talk about. Hell. I don’t like thinking about it.” And immediately transition into “Thank you so much for letting me blah blah blah. I really appreciate, it means a lot, blah blah blah.” <<< Moving directly into another subject that they have a stock answer in? Is just a kindness. People who press for details usually don’t think before speaking, and being told “no” leaves them in this gulch of awkwardness as the penny drops that they’ve just been incredibly stupid/rude/inconsiderate. So by making the transition for them to seize on a different topic? Gives them an out, and keeps me sane (people oozing guilt and confusion, in awkward fill-the-gap what do I say???, drives me mad) .

Snort. Can you tell I’ve done this a lot? Mostly it’s a parenting thing. I only ran into this a handful of times -mostly work related, a few times at uni- before kids.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Dead Link Removed for this. It is really helpful. It's just so hard to think about having to take a picture so thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back