• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I don't think i can do that - psychiatrist wants me to come off clonazepam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this isn't the correct forum-- I was unsure.

Short story, my psychiatrist wants me to get off Clonazepam. The issue? That's the long story.

At first, I did agree with her. Benzos cause problems long term, and while it's really helped me by easing my severe dissociation and stopping the continuous feelings of fainting + more, it's true I should do something else...

I thought it was fine until my psychiatrist wants me to get off barely a year into me being stable after years of being ill (plus the horrible medical stuff I was put through by negligent doctors and on) and providing nothing else -- she wants me to be on my antidepressant, Citalopram, exclusively.

Naturally, I'm scared, and I don't think I can do this. My symptoms are very physical and disruptive. Therapy is hell as my therapist is trying to get me to believe my only 'trauma' is separation from peers, and tearing up my PTSD diagnosis by vividly telling me someone who had survived a terrorist attack would have it. And I'm in a bit of a slippery shoe again-- my trauma is finally resurfacing and I'm under heavy stress from work, along with the occasional nightmares.

I don't know what to do. I just feel like this isn't a good idea, and I don't think I'm ready. or that I can handle only being on my antidepressant.

Do you guys have any experiences on this...?

First, welcome to the forum... glad you found us..
I take the same meds that you are on... so my question to you is, did your Dr tell you and explain why he/she wants you off Clonazepam ?

Thank you. It's comforting to see someone on the same meds, too.

She explained long-term side effects such as memory loss, but nothing much else. It hasn't really been causing me anything that would be negative aside from sleepiness, which is expected, but I wake up quickly and it moderates my cycle by not being awake too long like I used to.

In that case, you do have patient rights to say you do not feel you are ready to not only deal with the side effects of detox, but the other things going on in your life.... without your meds.... I have been on that benzo for years... and we breathe air that has side effects... I will take my chances with the side effects... it keeps me stable enough when I do take it... to quickly get to a place of balance.... who cares how I do it... And as long as you are clear, which sounds like you are, and not abusing it.. then stand your ground... if they refuse, then find another Dr... they do NOT always know what is best for us... we know ourself, and know what we can tolerate and what we can't.
Sounds like you are commited to therapy and healing and learning how to deal with your stressors... I feel you will be the one to go to your Dr and say, Ok, I feel it's time to leave this med behind....
I can only hope your Dr hears you... but you do have the right to say... NOT YET. !!! Doesn't mean never, means not now... so good luck with still getting the meds you need for right now...

In that case, you do have patient rights to say you do not feel you are ready to not only deal with the side effects of detox, but the other things going on in your life...
Thank you for your insight. You are right in that our doctors don't always know what's right for us. My psychiatrist and I are actually on shaky ground because she gave me antipsychotics believing my dissociation was psychosis, and even said my symptoms were make believe.

I think I'm ashamed of being a benzo user. Everyone always points how bad they are and even my friend linked me a mass panic article on Clonazepam telling me to be careful. My dose is lower than originally prescribed as I have been slowly detoxing at my psychiatrist's request.

I will be telling her I can't do this yet. I would also appreciate an alternative when I get off if things go bad. I mentioned Prasozin to her but she is really committed to only have me on Citalopram. We'll see when the day comes.

I'm actually changing therapist. I would like a different psychiatrist but I got roped into a mental center and afaik she's the 'chief' so to say, and they're very rigid. I miss the hospital, to be honest!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back