• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I had a car accident today - Trouble getting re-regulated and grounded, I feel like everything is spinning out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecdysis

MyPTSD Pro
I was driving to work at 4:30 am and a deer ran out into the road in front of my car.

I was in shock and had trouble working out what to do.

Thankfully the deer was killed outright and didn't suffer.

I called the police, called my workplace, waited for the police to come.

I arrived at work 40 minutes late and had to get everything ready for more driving (I'm working as a driver atm).

I wasn't 100% sure that I should be driving, since I was still quite shaken, but I drove carefully and managed.

I got through my shift somehow, feeling pretty dazed and once the adrenaline wore off, I was feeling exhausted and stressed.

Dealing with the car insurance has been another big stressor today - I won't go into the details but it's been complicated.

Went to see a Dr for work-related injuries and he wrote me off sick for the rest of the week with mild whiplash.

This has come on top of a very stressful situation (family/ housing/ breakup/ financial) and my brain's not coping very well.

I'm having trouble getting re-regulated and grounded, I feel like everything is spinning out of control.

I'm sorry that happened today.
Stress on top of stress, is really hard to manage.

What usually works for grounding you?

Really glad you went to see the Dr and have got signed off for a week. Self care is important.
Are there things you can do during that week that might help? Like exercise or whatever usually works for you?

in addition to what @Movingforward10 already said

I wanted you to know that while I was processing trauma with my T...my grandmother died..and on the way home from the wake I was ran off the highway 😞

3 car accident

the person clearly at fault (with proof from police report) fought it with the insurance..I was without my vehicle for a couple months and eventually had to purchase a new one which was also just so stressful. not fun like getting a new car when you plan it.

my heart goes out to you..

resting and care <3

It's always the surprises that affect us most. Realize what happens when it does:

- Adrenaline and spike in anxiety/stress.
- Increased symptoms as that wears off.
-Probable dissociation at some point.
-Hyper Vigilance will likely show up.
- Feeling out of control.
-Burnout when all that recedes.

Mitigation - whatever that looks like starts immediately. It should be as automatic as breathing and it should be bailing out your stress cup.

Realize insurance is trying not to pay out BUT if you have a police report etc. they can't fight it. You have proof that the reason you pay for insurance is what happened.

Take the time the doctor gave you to get stuff sorted out. Plan the steps you need to to do to sort out the other situation. Remember you have a week off work to help sort it out.

It's always the surprises that affect us most. Realize what happens when it does:

- Adrenaline and spike in anxiety/stress.
- Increased symptoms as that wears off.
-Probable dissociation at some point.
-Hyper Vigilance will likely show up.
- Feeling out of control.
-Burnout when all that recedes.

Mitigation - whatever that looks like starts immediately. It should be as automatic as breathing and it should be bailing out your stress cup.

Realize insurance is trying not to pay out BUT if you have a police report etc. they can't fight it. You have proof that the reason you pay for insurance is what happened.

Take the time the doctor gave you to get stuff sorted out. Plan the steps you need to to do to sort out the other situation. Remember you have a week off work to help sort it out.
That's brilliant - thank you ☺️

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back