• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I have finally bonded with my home. need what you think about this one.

• Thread starter Deleted member 12723
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12723

I have had eight years of living in places that I was not happy at after living in a log cabin for twenty five years. I have four moves in that time frame.

I have so hated living alone until recently....I am really starting to enjoy the benefits of living alone and this is so great for me at this time in my life.

I wanted to know if any of you who do live alone, enjoy your experience and can list what are the benefits to you living alone as opposed to feeling sad and depressed all of the time while living alone.

For the last two years it has been so hard on me to live alone. The holidays have been sheer hell of feeling crushing loneliness and despair. Granted my husband died four years ago and I have been missing him terribly.

I am going to list what the benefits of living alone are for me:

No one around to tell me all of the things I am doing wrong anymore.
I can do whatever I want here now without anyone giving me a hard time about it.
Freedom to come and go as I please without having my plans disrupted by family members dysfunction.

I am cooking again and just got a new cookbook and am really excited about cooking with the recipes in it.
I have started to bake again.
My self discipline has been improving a lot.
I can sleep when ever I want either late or early.

I am renewing lost passions like gardening again.
I am becoming more creative again.
I am enjoying my own company for the first time in my life.

I am organizing my home better which has become fun.
I am enjoying having small goals to reach each day now.
I am reading again and listening to music again.
I am not watching tv like all of the time anymore.

Balance is slowly coming into my life.
I have old interests slowly coming back into my life.
For the first time since my husband died, I am planning on decorating for the holidays.
Feeling excited about the holidays coming up, this is brand new.
Looking at the benefits of winter time, for the first time ever.

Okay I have shared mine. If any of you are enjoying living alone, will you please share here what things you love about living alone. Like I said this is all brand new realizations for me and I would love to have others ideas and things that they love. Thank you so much

Peace and quiet
No one to boss me around :)
Like you said, can sleep when you want!
Makes you more independent
Less dishes and clothes to wash, generally less mess :p
Can put on the music and movies I like whenever I want, and watch episode after episode if I want
Can spend money without being judged

Last edited by a moderator:
I love (love, love, love, love, love) living alone, when I was alone. I can arrange the furniture how I want, rearrange the furniture whenever I want, sleep when I want, do the dishes when I want (or not :p), I don't have to explain myself to anyone else... basically the space is mine, and I can do what I want, when I want, without having to consider anyone else. Having my mother move in (it was supposed to be temporary :banghead:) has been unbelievably stressful.

I lived alone most of my life. That includes my childhood in a mother in-law apartment. Because of that, I find it difficult to live with someone else. I hated it when I was younger, but when I lived alone for 7 years as an adult I learned to love it.

No one to care if you didn't do the dishes or make the bed. You can turn the music up and dance as crazy and as silly as you want without fear someone is going to walk in on you.You can watch silly youtube videos to your hearts content without worrying someone is going to make fun of you or look at your browser history. You can decorate your home the way you want it and no one is going to complain that they think it is tacky. No one is going to move something where you can't find it. If you don't feeling like getting dressed or taking a shower, no one will know. You don't have to pick up after someone else or nag them to pick up after them self. You can cook what ever you want without worry about what someone wants to eat. You only have to buy the foods you like. You can keep eccentric hours without bothering anyone, an you aren't bothered by someone elses sleep schedule. No one judges your house keeping unless you have guests.

I've been alone for a long time. I love it. I don't even date anymore because I don't want the shit of another person, as I have enough shit of my own to deal with. So less drama and trauma. I get the remote to myself, the bathroom, and my bed. I hate to cook, so I don't unless I want to. Less work, less picking up, lots of less going on.

I keep my apartment, very clean and in order, and don't need someone coming in to mess it up. I'm pretty selfish as far as my space is concerned.

At first the holidays were difficult, but with my kid and the yrs she wouldn't allow me to see the kids, that soon passed. Now, I could care less about any holiday. I don't decorate, don't buy gifts, don't get any and don't care. It's just another day.

No one to boss me around :)

I am so happy for you, C j. This is a big one for me now. The freedom to enjoy my own space. I am really getting into this . I am finally allowing myself to enjoy the good stuff of life, it allows for so much healing from past abuse.:hug: Thank you for sharing this with me.

I love (love, love, love, love, love) living alone, when I was alone. I can arrange the furniture how I want, rearrange the furniture whenever I want, sleep when I want, do the dishes when I want (or not :p), I don't have to explain myself to

I had to laugh at what you shared but it is only funny because it is so true. I have never before in my life enjoyed being alone, but the freedom to be myself is a gift that keeps on giving. Thank you for sharing this very much.:hug:

but when I lived alone for 7 years as an adult I learned to love it.

I think that learning to love living alone is just so amazing. I finally am becoming a friend to me as a direct result of living alone. I am so happy for you and thank you so much for sharing this, I really appreciate your take on things.:hug:

I've been alone for a long time. I love it. I don't even date anymore because I don't want the shit of another person, as I have enough shit of my own to deal with. So less drama and trauma. I get the remote to myself, the bathroom, and my bed. I hate to cook, so I don't unless I want to. Less work, less picking up, lots of less going on.

I loved this so much. I had to share a bedroom with my sister who was nine years younger than me she was always going through my stuff. The only time I lived alone before I got married was for three months before I met my husband and got married.

I love living alone. There is just so much freedom and peace of mind and I do not miss at all having someone else disturb my peace now. It means so much to much to me the things you shared, and I refuse to date or have another SO in my life ever again.

I deserve this peace and my home is my safe place and sanctuary. It means so much to me, and I never thought that I would ever get used to living alone. The thing I love the most is at home feelings I now experience here. :hug:

Thanks all of you for validating what I am beginning to know and realize. I do not have many people in my life that are living alone and loving it so I really appreciate all of you for chiming in with your loves of living alone. This is a brand new experience for me and I so appreciate everything you all shared here.:happy::tup:

Before I got married, I lived alone. I had a futon bed and at one point, put it in my living room.. just because I could. I also reserved Tuesdays for myself. They had jazz playing at the bookstore and I would just go there alone and read. This was in my young-mid twenties but I truly valued that time. I did have a cat and goldfish. I hope that still counted as living alone.

I lived alone multiple times, the longest being 8 years and I loved it. I was self sufficient, I had my cats and I lived a good life. Although I'm married now, there are times when I miss the simplicity of living by myself, not being on anyone else's timetable or responsible for anyone else. I was just thinking about this not more than 30 minutes before I saw this post.

there are times when I miss the simplicity of living by myself, not being on anyone else's timetable or responsible for anyone else. I was just thinking about this not more than 30 minutes before I saw this post.

I think that there is so much freedom and peace and serenity and tranquility to be found in living alone. I think that this so wonderful to hear people on this forum to talk about absolutely love living alone. It is very inspiring.

The great thing I found whilst living alone was that I was able to find myself....warts and all, my weaknesses and my strengths.....far too easy to blame others when we share a life.

I am finding this true for myself as well. I think that I am experiencing so much self acceptance of where I am at any given time and it is so wonderful to be responsible for only me and no one else. It is really helping me in so many ways and I am more attuned to what I do or do not do according to my choice alone. Thank you for sharing this fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back