• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Ignored My Negative Assumptions And Opened Up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainR

Confident
After really examining my thought process due to comments from people around me (including Anthony's response to one of my posts), I forced myself to be honest with some important people in my life about what's been happening to me.

Before the story of my DUI arrest hit the newspaper I sent out a heartfelt email memo to members of my department explaining why I had kept it a secret from them (without the PTSD or depression angle included). The positive supportive response was overwhelming. I spoke individually with a number of people that I'm closer with since the story became public, and I was painfully honest with them about the depth of my problems. No shock to the normal mind, I suppose, but they were universally supportive and understanding.

It's a small victory, but an important one. Fighting the negative thought process, and the certainty that the worst will always come from everything I reveal, is an important battle for me right now. Just wanted to share this small victory.

Reactions: Jim
I say very well done Captain, very well done, and you should congratulate yourself on your achievement, and it is your achievement, because you made the choice and performed the action. Baby steps, thats what its all about.

Captain,

All of our victories are important-small and big. Although I've found that sometimes the smaller ones are the sweeter ones.

Glad to see you found unexpected support.

Thanks for sharing your victory with us.

Very well done Captain. I'm delighted the experience was positive and that through it you found support. I'm sure your positive experience will make things easier the next time round.

Good job Captain, one of the most important discoveries we can make is that worst case scenarios usually only take place in our minds, the reality of our fears is usually a whole lot better than that, and endurable.
Respect,
WarHippy1%

Well done Captain... I can see how scary that would have been!

Good stuff! Pretty huge, I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back