• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I keep having nightmares of my dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Madsneedshelp

First of all he has never abused me in anyway and I just moved in with him a few months ago, I think it’s also important to note I have the flu. Anyways throughout the past few days I keep having these nightmares, always taking place where I fell asleep and only one not including my dad. I have dreams where its a monster pretending to be him, or dreams where I’m extremely ill and can’t reach him since he changed his number. The only one that he wasn’t in was when I fell asleep on the couch and had a dream monsters were breaking into the door next to me. I remember them all vividly and I always wake up right after. Can anyone help? Either by explaining what they mean or how to get rid of them, I can’t sleep now

First of all he has never abused me in anyway and I just moved in with him a few months ago, I
Explaining what they mean may make things worse. Thats something you need to work out with your T. Seriously. The meanings of repetitive nightmares often have to do with trauma and are not to be trifled with.....

Usually the subject of your nightmares that you are focused on - isn't the problem, so rest easy on that front.

Not sleeping? Has become so normal - it's normal. Sleep time changes all the time for me and it's just deal with it.

Waking up from nightmares? My usual was a safe space (blankets, tv, computer, some kind of media I could control) where I could relax. Maybe get back to sleep - maybe not, but rest quietly at the least. I have felt tired for a lot of my life. Exhausted too. Frankly - if I started sleeping 8 hours a night I would be worried something was really wrong.....

Keep moving forward in therapy and you will find the cause of your nightmares. Fair warning that when you do they may be attached to some pretty painful memories.

Of course he’s a figure in your nightmares. You just moved in with him. I’d be shocked if your brain wasn’t working out all the potential permutations of “what if?”.

I think it’s also important to note I have the flu.

in my personal herstory, i would list that as number 1, 2 and 3 on the importance scale. my dreams go absolutely haywire when i have the flu, especially in regards to people who are or should be candidates to call for help. i enjoy interpreting my dreams, but not even **i** will attempt to interpret fever dreams.

take extra special care of yourself, mads. don't rush the convalescence. easy does it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back