• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I Started Taking Inositol and it is Really Helping Me

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
I started taking inositol, a B vitamin supplement, and it is really helping me so far with my obsessive thinking. I am able to take a pretty small dose and find relief. I hope this continues as it’s so nice to have my mind be quiet again. It’s not perfect, but it’s to the level where I am able to function and I’m no longer thinking “ok, how long until I hit bottom here?”

I’ll try to add updates as things progress.

Correction, I read that while inositol is called “Vitamin B8” it’s technically a sugar. This explains why it tastes sweet. This is actually a good thing as I can just take the powder plain and don’t have to mix it in something first. I also bought a set of mini measuring spoons as even 1/4 teaspoon was giving me a headache. It’s easier to build up as needed and help my body adjust as to avoid side effects.

The research I’ve found says it is helpful for anxiety and OCD type symptoms and this is my experience. I am taking a very low dose and feeling relief. If it’s a placebo effect, I really don’t care as I feel so much better. My mind isn’t completely calm but it’s so much better than it was. Plus, inositol is usually well tolerated and something we get in certain foods anyway. I believe the theory is that certain people who have anxiety (etc) may lack it in their diet so that’s why it can help.

I will add that I have a bottle of pure inositol powder. It’s not that large, but if I continue to be ok on a small dose, the bottle will last a long time. (It has no fillers.)

I am very medication sensitive and have required very small doses of prescription medication, so I am not surprised that I am feeling relief on such a small dose.

I started taking inositol, a B vitamin supplement, and it is really helping me so far with my obsessive thinking. I am able to take a pretty small dose and find relief. I hope this continues as it’s so nice to have my mind be quiet again. It’s not perfect, but it’s to the level where I am able to function and I’m no longer thinking “ok, how long until I hit bottom here?”

I’ll try to add updates as things progress.
Just wanted to thank you for posting this. I had not heard about Inositol and I'm ordering a bottle right now. I am dealing with overwhelming stress in my life and the anxiety and panic have been off the scale. I'm falling apart - emotionally and physically. I'm not at all suicidal, but my helpful brain has been shoving dark, intrusive thoughts under my nose telling me to just end it once and for all. I'm hoping this option may help a little with what I'm experiencing.

In the past, my primary doc kept trying to prescribe meds for anxiety, but as a nurse, I know how dangerous and addictive that path can be. I've seen those meds become a crutch and then an addiction. I'm always on the lookout for an alternative.

So thank you - thank you so very much! - this potential option has given me a glimmer of hope, something I can put in my arsenal to combat my uncooperative brain.

Just wanted to thank you for posting this. I had not heard about Inositol and I'm ordering a bottle right now. I am dealing with overwhelming stress in my life and the anxiety and panic have been off the scale. I'm falling apart - emotionally and physically. I'm not at all suicidal, but my helpful brain has been shoving dark, intrusive thoughts under my nose telling me to just end it once and for all. I'm hoping this option may help a little with what I'm experiencing.

In the past, my primary doc kept trying to prescribe meds for anxiety, but as a nurse, I know how dangerous and addictive that path can be. I've seen those meds become a crutch and then an addiction. I'm always on the lookout for an alternative.

So thank you - thank you so very much! - this potential option has given me a glimmer of hope, something I can put in my arsenal to combat my uncooperative brain.
I've been working with a psychiatric nurse practitioner; I let her know that I preferred to look at supplements rather than pharmacuticals. She suggested I add one thing at a time, and I added one thing each month. I started with Magnesium. The following month I added L-theanine. Then she suggested 1200 mg of Inositol. First I started a supplement that included all 3 but, only with 400 mg of inositol. Then I added an additional inositol supplement with vitamin D to increase the dosage. It's only been a couple of weeks since I started the full dosage of inositol but, so far, my mind seems a bit clearer and I haven't had any negative side effects. What has your experience been so far?

Back