• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I told them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nowthisisme

Confident
I finally told my husband, sister, and friend i have PTSD!

I feel so relieved! I have been with my husband for 13 years and i have NEVER ever hide anything from him, he's my best friend and i am always open and honest with him. So being diagnosed with PTSD and not telling him was a major burden for me. I was scared he would ask me what caused the PTSD and that information i am not ready to share, not because i don't trust him but because i am just not ready to say the words out loud.

Well anyway, I practice with my T and ended up telling him on Monday, it was a very relaxing calm conversation, I made it sound like it's a totally normal thing and he shouldn't be worried about it. Lol that didn't work of course. He did get worried and very confused, he started asking, he wanted to know what type of trama caused it, am I in danger now, are the kids ok .. etc.
I reassured him that everyone is safe, healthy, and happy. I was able to relax him and explain a little about what PTSD is.
He is such a great guy, he didn't push me when i simply replied, "I can't answer that now but when I'm ready you will be the first to know".

A couple of days after that I told my friend and then my sister.

I can't believe I was so worried about telling them. None of them pushed me or pressured me into telling them anything i wasn't comfortable with.

I feel much more relaxed. I feel loved. I know I have my support. I am not alone.

How did you feel when you told your family and loves ones?

I'm so happy for you! Having support from family and loved ones at this revelation is the best thing that can happen for you and I am genuinly happy reading about it ^^ (My experience wasn't so good.. The people left in my blood family still don't understand or don't care. But my firends care a little and my boyfriend does. My boyfriend knew from the start and was very supportive, I told my friends one by one and they were just like 'kay' mostly because they didn't think it made a difference. Which is good enough I suppose.)

That’s wonderful! I still haven’t told many of my friends, still working up courage and how to do i...
Thank you Rosie!
I'm so glad i was able to say the words out loud. It was really hard for me to convince myself to do it.
I don't think i will share it with anyone else for now.

To be honest i don't want PTSD to take over my life, I fight it every second of the day and if i officially label myself with PTSD i would give myself a reason to stop trying. So the leas people that know the harder i have to try and heal. Fake it till you make it.
I know it sounds stupid and it most likely is the wrong way to look at it but it makes sense to me now, ask me a week from now i might have a different opinion lol

I'm so happy for you! Having support from family and loved ones at this revelation is the best thi...

Thank you so much!! Having the right type of support is very important, that's why i choose these 3 people. I don't think any of them know what exactly PTSD is, I didn't even know how bad/hard it really is. I really thought it was something only veterans get and that's how my sister responded "isn't that what people at war get?!"
So they need to educate themselves a little. Unfortunately it's hard for people to see your struggling when there arent any physical injuries. So I don't expect anyone to really understand what we are all going through.

I haven't really told anyone in my family. Not directly, anyway. I think I'm afraid they will argue with me about it (they do about everything else) or that it would lead to questions about my traumas and maybe to feeling like I need to reveal my DID. NOT going to do that, not with my mom, anyway.

Hi @nowthisisme... Well done... What a relief it must be for you. I told my mum she's a nurse so was fine with it. My dad... Doesn't really communicate much so and doesn't understand.

The friends that I have told...in the past.... Either researched it or didn't... It always leads to the question, how did you get it?..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back