• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Death I was orphaned before i turned six and still long for parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylormade73

New Here
Both my dad, and my mom past away when I was very young, my dad died of a heart attack and three years later my mom died of cancer..I was six. My five older brothers and I were separated And I became a ward of the state being shuffled from one family to the next until I was 18. Throughout that Time I was abused repeatedly except for a short time when I was about 11 and I lived with a family who was pretty good to me but that didn’t last very long because my foster dad died of a drug over dose and my foster mom couldn’t take care of me in addition to her own kid so I was sent away again. I’m now 44 and I still long for parents....not necessarily mine, but just anyone. It really makes me angry with myself that I can’t just let it go.

. Throughout that Time I was abused repeatedly except for a short time when I was about 11 and I lived with a family who was pretty good to me but that didn’t last very long because my foster dad died of a drug over dose and my foster mom couldn’t take care of me in addition to her own kid so I was sent away again. I’m now 44 and I still long for parents....not necessarily mine, but just anyone. It really makes me angry with myself that I can’t just let it go.

@Taylormade73 thats extremely tough and painful... to have that deep longing for a parent is human and its not something which goes away “just because we grow up“. Its a profound challenge to process these feelings...

I work with the elderly and it surprises me how many of them still miss their mom or dad... I just wish it would go away. I don’t want to be 80 or 90 and still thinking about this stuff all the time.

Yes...
The denial to realize that there are deep cut wounds is normal but at some point if one wants to heal there is no other way than facing them. Trying to control or ignore creates illness. Acknowledging one's own suffering and pain is hard but thats the beginning

Do u ever get angry with yourself for not being able to get over your past? For me most of it happened so long ago. I know that logically the only way through it is to deal with it head on but but I feel like I’m just complaining

to get over your past?
Yes, the Anger is normal too... I judge myself when emotions overwhelm me at times, although with Therapy and support I can come back to a state where its OK to be with the pain. Yes, easily said than done... the rationalizing of traumatic events (Which again is OK to Do) is a way of dealing with it, unfortunately in the long run if I keep telling myself that the past is the past and let bygones be bygones I am not making the step to dig into emotional layers of pain which needs to be done if I want to overcome

I understand the longing for parents, especially a mother. I have written about the same feelings. I just want the craving to go away. You aren't alone, many people on my thread expressed the same desire. I think a group brainstorming might be a good idea.

Are you close with your other siblings?
My siblings and I are fairly close, but at the same time there is still alot of disconnect. We dont talk about the past much especially with me and my youngest brother.. Hes 2 yrs older then me and we experienced alot of the same abuse growing up...the older boys cant relate because they could pretty much take care of themselves

I understand the longing for parents, especially a mother. I have written about the same feelings. I j...
Brainstorming sounds like an interesting idea

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back