• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Poll If some one was to ask.... what makes you a good couple, could you answer it?

If some one was to ask.... what makes you a good couple, could you answer it?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Killashandra

Confident
So I have been thinking about having some time out from my family maybe for like a week.
To accomplish what you may ask?

I am very one confused person at the moment and have no real idea which way is up or which is down. I'd really hate to be a scuba dover right now.

Or am I just being selfish? I've been doing so much work on myself that I forget to work on the relationship, then I work on the relationship and end up feeling more miserable then ever because I feel like I don't get heard. But Do I ask? That's the question.

If some one was to ask.... what makes you a good couple, could you answer it?

Well, here's what I have to say. My husband and I are certainly struggling right now, going through a bad time. But I still think we are a good couple despite all our issues (and my doubts). The biggest reason is because we are friends. And even if the romance isn't there right now, we are friends and I like that. And we both work on patience because of that friendship. And we both try to figure out how to communicate because of that friendship. It's not just our marriage (which is new). And it's not just about love.
Yes, I'm working on myself these days more. I'm not putting my husband first in all things that I do. But I won't be putting myself first every day always either. It'll balance out as I get better again.
So for me, yes, I think we are a great couple.

Yes, we're a team. We communicate a lot and work for ourselves, each other and our relationship without forcing it, it feels somehow natural. It doesn't mean that it's not hard sometimes, just that we're willing to put the effort because it's worth it.

We don't forget to be light. We joke, tease, flirt, be silly, be honest, be compassionate, be considerate, forgive each other our trespasses, keep developing our minds, learning new stuff so we can bring interesting things to our conversations with each other, try our best to be attentive but also give each other space when needed. We are both sufferers so we get what each other goes through, that helps a lot.

Last edited:
My husband and I were married for 20 or so years. He passed away and I am a widow, since 2005 now. I could say that for the most part, we were a happy couple. We went out to eat a lot, went out for Sunday drives to places that mattered to us, kept our sense of humor as much as possible and we loved dogs. (We had 5 of them at one point). So we had a love of something in common, we had things we did to spend quality time with one another and we did our best to communicate about things that bothered us. One thing was lacking though: we were unable to have children. Also, we both ended up having serious health problems, which put a damper on things. None the less, we dealt with these things as best as we could. I think every couple has to deal with tragedy at some point or other. How you deal with it makes a world of difference. In our illness, we joined a 90 degree F. swimming pool and we did physical therapy in it to worked together to overcome our illnesses and health conditions. We worked at keeping a positive outlook. We even spent time goofing around and being playful in that pool. That helped too, because "laughter is the best medicine."

My husband and I have been married 33 years this September. Humor, and having similar interests and childhood backgrounds has helped us stay together in spite of all of my doo-doo:poop::poop: and my husband's doo-doo:poop::poop:.:laugh::hilarious:

My husband and I have been together for 27 years. We have a lot of the same interests, sense of humor and the same values all over the map. Plus, he's still hot at 71. A lot of women in town flirt with him, haha. But then, some men in town flirt with me, too. We laugh about all that and are totally committed to each other. Even after all these years, we marvel at how we somehow found each other. Ours is the first really good and true relationship either of us has ever had with anyone else.

ETA: We also both work hard at not letting ourselves take this for granted. It is a hard-won blessing for both of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back