• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

I'm Thinking About Trying For Disability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marilyn_S

MyPTSD Pro
I am really afraid of the process. I don't know if each state is different or not but I know it is a federal gov. thing. I am so afraid of making a fool of myself. I already feel so low right now. But the thought of being employed scares the shit out of me. We will soon be required to start paying back my student loans. It will be like an extra car payment!!!!! I just don't know the right thing to do. I'm so confused. But I'm tired of struggling financialy when my husband works so hard to make ends meet. I try to be tight as the bark on a shirt but even with my miserly ways we still struggle. Any suggestions or comments or ideas would be very very very appreciated.

whatever you do, don't give up!

Hi, it's 9Lives... :-) I'm also in the process of trying for social security disability through the state (in addition to my pending VA disability case). So far, the state has turned me down 2x so I hired a lawyer. He's one of those lawyer's who doesn't get paid until you win your case so, he had his staff review my claim before deciding to take me on as his client. He feels positive that I'll win once we get a hearing & says it's normal to be turned down 1x or 2x especially when you're young (I'm 33) and when you have "hidden" disabilities. I still don't understand the state's logic for turning me down as I also submitted doctors letters stating I cannot work due to debilitating pain and combined medical disabilities of Diabetes, Peripheal Neuropathy in 3 limbs, Fibromyalgia, Hypertension, PVCs, Tachycardia, PTSD, anxiety/panic attacks, migraines, & Depression but, we'll see how it turns out. Apparently though, it can take a few years before you win your case (mine's going on 2 yrs). So, I'd start your paperwork right away (it's not hard but, there's a lot of it to fill out) and I wish you the Best Luck! I also found good information on this site: http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/
Take care!

Thank You 9Lives, I appreciate the info. I am wondering if they consider mental illness only a disability. I do not have any physical disabilities. I'm just unable to work because of my PTSD. It is so bad at this time I can barely take care of myself much less a job. I guess its worth a try though.

Hi Marilyn S.

Apparently, even if you just have one disability (whether physical or mental) and it's severe enough to prevent you from working that is supposed to be enough to apply. And, as long as you have the paperwork to back it up & are prepared for a fight (which I'm told is just protocol, nothing personal), then why not try?

Hi Marilyn, A few years ago I applied for disability. I hired a paralegal business to do mine. After about 10 mths of waiting, I gathered up my hospital, and doctor records, copied them , and sent copies to my Senator and Governor's office. I included a short (3 paragraph) letter, to explain how desperate my situation was. With-in 2 weeks they had filed a congressional inquiry about my case and 1 week later I was approved. All of this I did on my own, the paralegal firm didn't even know I was approved. However because I had hired them, they took a third of my settlement. You might apply and then write your state officials and see if that helps. And it does not matter if your disability is physical or mental. Good luck, and Don't give up. Most every one I know it took over a year to get it. I think, they think if they wait long enough you'll give up. Good thoughts your way, Eve

Thanks for the info Eve & 9Lives. Every little bit helps. I checked out that web site and it was great. It had alot of info on it. And Eve, I think your idea is great. If I get the nerve, I just might try it.
Marilyn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back