• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Sufferer In need of help. many traumas in life, only recently diagnosed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Priss

Learning
Have read this site for quite awhile...hesitated joining because I am old and feel beyond help. Have had many traumas in my life but only recently diagnosed with ptsd. Have had numerous dealings with mental health but misdiagnosed and went the gammit with the million drugs and shock treatments...that was in itself traumatic. Six years out of a marriage with a sadistic psychopath, but i am not doing well. The diagnosis at least explained to me some of the problems I have had {still do} and the poor decisions I made in my life. Recently made an appointment with a trauma counselor. but am very apprehensive after the other experiences I had. But here is the bottom line...if I do not do something I am going to die. Have no real support system and am sinking fast...it scares me...I have had many awful times in my life but do not remember ever feeling so lost.

Welcome to the site! I'm sorry you are feeling so low, however you should feel really proud of yourself for trying to take the steps to get help. That takes a lot of courage and some people never take those initial steps. Getting on board with a good T will definitely help a lot! There are a lot of good threads and wonderful people on this site who can be very supportive. I hope you can find some of the support you are seeking here.

Hello, I'm so happy you joined us!

I'm newer here too, but watched from the shadows for a while also so I relate.

You are NEVER too old for ANYTHING. This place is absolutely wonderful. I can guarantee you that whatever you're struggling with, there is at the very least ONE person who can commiserate. Everyone here is understanding, kind, helpful, and willing to work it out with you

Chat is kind of hit or miss, sometimes its better to post (and still, sometimes its better to chat). Don't be shy, don't ever think for a minute you are too old to experience trauma and pain and HEAL it

Welcome!! I hope I see you around here.

Have read this site for quite awhile...hesitated joining because I am old and feel beyond help. Have...

Well do DID just do something, two things actually! You reached out for support here--and you'll find plenty of it, we're all in the same boat, dealing with the same illness. You also made an appt with a therapist. Those are two steps toward healing, toward relief. Good job! Just keep heading in this direction, and you'll find the help you need. If your counselor isn't helpful, thats totally okay, just find another one. There are good therapists out there. And post here about your experiences and people will support you. Don't give up! It gets better, at any age! One step at a time.

They almost had me convinced I was too old/tired/damaged/pained to try to change, too, but luckily, my body and my stubborn side had/have other ideas. So many helpful and kind folks around here. Glad you reached out. Welcome.

I found my best counseling/talk therapy experience, thus far, through our local sexual and domestic violence shelter. It's free, not based on income, but rather experience(s), regardless of the time frame they occurred, and they also offer a weekly support group. Not sure how many states have those available, but might be worth a look.

I haven't experienced any long term helpful results from meds and appear to be highly sensitive to most of them, but a few things helped short term at different stages.

I found my best relief, thus far, both physically and mentally, from totally changing everything I consume and use in my immediate environment, unlearning most of what I thought I already knew, re-learning how to breathe, eat, move, and think. A pretty tall order, but the results have equaled and surpassed the efforts, so far. Each day is a new lesson, whether I want it to be or not.

Best wishes in finding your most helpful grooves in your personal healing journey. Be patient and be kind to yourself as you grow along. I've learned it takes a village to teach and support. Many days, I simply exist to fill the role of the village idiot, it seems. Either way, I continue to learn a whole lot.

I do see a lady at our domestic shelter. She is a life coach, and without her I would probably be dead. This is a very rural area so they have a difficult time putting together a support group. I recently did a drastic diet change..no sugar, wheat, dairy, processed foods.so am hoping it helps. Also dabble in QiGong (at home) and do the deep breathing. I am so isolated and disconnected from life and people...the isolation is increasing and I know it is not good. I feel such a tremendous amount of shame and fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back