• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Integration

Is integration a ‘one time thing’? Or something to continually work on?

i.e. is it a structure that once integrated is always integrated and you’re a whole person, or is it a structure that becomes integrated and can disintegrate again along the pre existing cracks?

in my last session my T said it sounded like I am integrated. And I do feel very different. I do feel ‘whole’ and ‘solid’, whereas before it was not like that. But, I still have messages, internal dialogue that isn’t helpful etc. it’s just easier to manage at the moment.

what does this look like for you?

Mod Q : When you’re talking about being integrated are you talking DID/OSDD/etc.? Or meaning your past/present no longer mixing up, but are linear, or…?

I had dissociative amnesia. If thats what you're talking about. When i accidentally recovered my memories it was quite rough. I am starting to feel like me again but its still a struggle. I would be interested in this topic as well.

If you experienced this was it like it just happened yesterday at first? Did the memories become elusive? Like they were still there but hard to think about?

i.e. is it a structure that once integrated is always integrated and you’re a whole person, or is it a structure that becomes integrated and can disintegrate again along the pre existing cracks?

in my last session my T said it sounded like I am integrated. And I do feel very different. I do feel ‘whole’ and ‘solid’, whereas before it was not like that. But, I still have messages, internal dialogue that isn’t helpful etc. it’s just easier to manage at the moment.

I'm not sure if i understand the science well, but I can tell you how I understand it. I see lack of integration as a lack of communication between parts of the brain and body- e.g. walls between thinking and feeling/ things you remember in fight and flight you don't otherwise etc. And then to be integrated would be movement between these areas- ie that your feelings would move and change but be accessible to you, you could readily recall memories, and you are able to get over things. I'm not sure that I think of integration as a fixed state but more one which needs to keep flowing or you could get stuck again. If you imagine trauma as mould, something lethal that accumulates in damp houses- you both need to remove the mould and decrease the damp by increasing the heat and adding circulation- to me integration is the circulation and compassion is the heat. If you were to remove one of these things the house could get mould again, especially if it has had it before.

Hi! I was not diagnose with DID or OSDD but I had like 2 "parts". In my experience, they appear and dissapear depending on my needs, for example, when I can't handle my memories or my rage, pain or whatever my mind stars to dissociate and eventually one called Pan shows up, and If Pan (that is kinda like a persecutor and too much emotional), give me problems and I don't know how to cope with her eventually shows up Sam (like a protector, he is really rational). Pan have been showing up for years, first time i noticed was with 15y, and Sam since 20yo. I'm 21 now. Sooo, in my experience, they can integrate and desintegrate but they are not exactly the same. But as I said before, I was not diagnose with DID or OSDD so I don't really know if it can be useful for you. Anyway, I wish you a happy new year ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I experience DDNOS and DP/DR
From my understanding, integration can happen once and stay. If another trauma happens, it's quite possible not to intergrate.

Back