• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Iraq War and PTSD - Anyone Else Dealing With The Iraq Repercussions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fugitivepoet

New Here
Is there anyone out there personally dealing with the PTSD of a soldier that returned from the war?

I'm the wife of one that spent 15 months over there as an MP, and the after effects are so hard. Hubby is having alot of trouble sleeping, has extreme mood swings, and angers very easily. The VA prescribed an anti-depressant for the purpose of the drowsy side effects to help him sleep. It makes him feel druggy, and if anything is exacerbating the mood swings.

Not sure what to do. :crybaby:

Hi fugitive.

PTSD is PTSD, no matter what caused it. You can support your husband but you can't fix or heal him. He needs to do that himself.

I'm not sure if you are new to the forum or not, so if your not excuse this part. There is a great spouse section for support and understanding, take a look at it. Also, see if you can get your husband to take a look at the forum and consider joining up, as only he can heal himself.

And yes, meds don't fix it.. they are only a band-aid that 99% of the time make it worse.

bec

Thank you for the reply

I'm brand new, and this is my first post. The med definitely isn't working, and is making things worse. I'll take a browse around the forum. Thanks again!

Thank you

Poet, thank you for being a loving, concerned spouse. I'm experiencing PTSD and it sucks, my husband is a police officer and I dont know how he puts up with me. We (PTSD people) are hard to live with, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you.

AWE! Thanks!

I'll tell you...sometimes it's so hard to bite my tongue, but I have to. Today he called yelling that he hates his job and is mad at everything. I work in a very positive work environment where people are in disgustingly good moods. Except for me now. I just hate seeing him this way. I chilled out for a little while and called him back calmly and said that I didn't appreciate him calling and yelling at me that way. We'll look at the paper and see about a new job. I also told him that he needed to try and calm down rather than calling and yelling at me because I'll take it. I was explicit in letting him know that as a result, I am now in a bad mood. He seemed to calm down. I'm just not sure what is right to say when he gets like that.

I'm sorry

Poet.. sometimes there is NOTHING you can say. You just have to give him space. I'm sure he feels like crap every time he lashes out at you. What he says to you cant be taken back, and you are hurt even though he didnt mean it. I've been and am on both sides of this. You're right in calmly letting him know that what he's doing is hurting you, he needs to hear that. He needs to recognize that you're in this thing too, not just him. So I guess you try to hang in there, say what you feel, then step away and give him a chance to absorb it. (Thats what helps me anyway) Keep your chin up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back