• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is a flexible job schedule helpful or harmful for PTSD symptom management?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justmehere

Sponsor
Reevaluating a career change before I jump further into it. I'm trying to work my way off disability. I can do more than others expected but less than I expected. Not sure if a flexible schedule is good or bad for me. Structure helps, but flex time also helps to take breathes and to get counseling, etc. I'm debating a self-employment option, which would give me flexibility to manage symptoms but then it's all on me, or a more structured position that can sometimes distract me from symptoms and keep me going and on track, and it's not all on me but it's more rigid.

PTSD aside...you have ADHD, right? I think you need a mix of flexibility and structure. But your ADHD definitely needs some flexibility and your PTSD too to, as you said, breath and get counseling. Don't disregard that.

Frankly? I'd advise against self-employment. Too much pressure and too many possibilities to cheat yourself.

Unless it's some sort of self-employment within a more structured setting...kind of like a contractor maybe?

Yeah it would be a contractor - lots of semi remote work contracts.

I do have adhd too. Structure helps, but I reach breaking point keep up with it. Over and over. I think that’s the PTSD. I can medicate the ADHD so I do ok without structure on meds, but the PTSD is what I can’t gauge as well. ADHD is more just a way of being. PTSD is like fires that sprout up now and then.

I do have adhd too. Structure helps, but I reach breaking point keep up with it. Over and over. I think that’s the PTSD
ADHD is more just a way of being.

Don't disregard the ADHD. From my understanding/observation most people with ADHD have a really hard time with strict working structure and while many of them may be able to uphold them, it does cause a lot of distress. (But ADHD folks also needs some gentle push because otherwise they're overwhelmed and have a hard time prioritizing...no? Let me know if I'm completely off base)

Now add PTSD into the mix with its unpredictable ways of showing it's ugly face - and yeah, you definitely need flexibility.

But I think some structure helps with regulation, too, and might help avoid taking on too much. (which you're prone to judging by your other threads/posts -- and yeah, I'm in the same boat, so I know :hug: )

Semi-remote contracts sounds good. You can choose your own projects according to your own interests and according to your own individual timeline.

Where would you personally see the advantages in a very structured job instead of self-employed contracting work? Would that job allow you time out to manage PTSD symptoms? Particularly considering the unpredictability?

My favorite schedules have all been some version of short term contracts, with breaks between contracts, inside of an overarching job. Perfect example of that is a university quarter system. (Or fishing boat. Or an established theatre. Or certain kinds of NGO work. Or oil rig. Or certain kinds of teaching/nursing/policing. Et cetera.) You work for one big thing, but in short bursts, with breaks in between, and if you need/want can usually skip a stint here and there without losing the ability to come back for the next one, no fuss no muss, and sometimes? Without losing out on pay. Either because you’re salaried, or because you “just” work in a different capacity for a bit of a pallet cleanser between your normal gigs.

The M-F 40-60 hours a week same schedule 24/7/365 thing may be the majority of jobs out there, but there are also a helluva lotta quirky scheduled jobs... that have suited me right on down to the ground.

Ditto on the ADHD thing... I have no internal sense of structure, so I have to create it, externally. But that structure can not only be reeeeeeeally flexible, but works a lot better when it is. Like Tetris, rather than Excel. Hence why contracting worked out so damn well.

I think it depends on more than just your mental health challenges. Although, thinking about that, I have no idea who I'd be without those....

I'm glad I'm self employed. I found out a long time ago having a boss can be hard. I have my own way of approaching things, that works for me. I don't like to be micro managed and I really care about the quality of work, so i don't like being told to compromise that.

I'll grant, it's stressful, especially in the beginning, not having a pay period set in stone. I've gotten used to that and it hasn't been a problem. Actually, it was more stressful dealing with bosses I didn't like and wondering if the job was suddenly going to be gone. (Once upon a time, I lost a job with 2 weeks notice, this time of year, during a recession, with no place to go for me, the dog, the cats, or the 3 horses. That can't happen now because I know what's going on and can't get blindsided that way.)

My job forces me to deal with people. Sometimes that tough, because I don't always feel like dealing with people. But, I think it's good, because it would be easy to hole up at the house and never see anyone again. At the same time, I can pretty much deal with people on my own terms. If I don't feel like returning phone calls, that's my choice, although I also have to deal with the consequences. (I've gotten people mostly trained to use text and email, because I'm more likely respond more quickly.)

I'd suggest you try to think, objectively, about the things you've liked and disliked about jobs. What are your strengths and weaknesses? What do you enjoy? What do you hate? What's your definition of "success"? Having a flexible schedule is great in a lot of ways, but you still have show up and get the work done, at some point. You also have to be able to let yourself take a day off.

The other part of this is whether or not you can earn enough money, of course.

I think that since we are supposed to stay on a regular sleep schedule, so we can get good regular solid sleep, REM and all, we should try to keep an at least somewhat healthy and steady work schedule too. Job's are supposed to be flexible when it comes to Dr.'s and medical appts, that would not be an issue here, I don't think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back