• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is being very emotional a key symptom of ptsd and if so, how do you cope with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolphin Lady

Learning
I have been "protected" from any upset during the last month whilst I have been off work but I am due back soon and feeling very up and down with emotions still. I can be watching the news and feel a great need to cry, or even just reading something or listening to music and I have a huge wave of sadness that takes my breath away., the same does not apply to happiness as I haven't felt this for a long time. Is this normal? I would value your thoughts.

if you're struggling to function doing things in your daily life, perhaps it would be best to speak to your doctor (or whomever) about not being ready to return to work

For me, I find the more disconnected my feelings are from the trauma the more emotionally reactive I am to everything else in my life. I can weep about a flat tire, for example, but feel numb about a rape. My therapist says it is related to the PTSD and that better regulation comes with healing.

Yes, I understand, I am just worried about "letting" myself get back out there in the real world having to deal with everyone elses problems

Also especially when I am not yet dealing with my own. I am scared that I wont be able to cope and everything will come falling down like a few weeks ago, I just feel really fragile?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have always been an emotional person but never showed them. Always kept them tightly to myself and showed a happy, strong person on the outside. Find it really hard to show my emotions except now I cant control them? They are so sudden and overwhelm me and it scares me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back