• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Undiagnosed Is it PTSD? Or am I deluding myself? - How often/strong PTSD symptoms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Friday Ok, understood!

But in my defense, I did say that I'm going to have professional help in the very first paragraph of my first post.

Hello everyone,

I came across this forum by chance after searching for "high-functioning PTSD". First thing first: I am not diagnosed with PTSD - or any other mental illness, for that matter (though I do suspect GAD as a minimum, based on diagnostic criteria and stories from affected people). I do, however, finally have a therapist appointment later this month. I've been trying to find all information possible and I figured, I might as well just ask here. I obviously don't mean to self-diagnose, and I also don't want to be disrespectful to those who are truly suffering, I certainly don't want to be or come across as an imposter.

And it came up multiple times afterwards, including before posts to which people accusing me of refusing to seek professional help actually responded to. I'm just slightly allergic when I get the feeling people read inattentively or only what they want to read. Including on insisting that I refuse to trust a professional/the diagnostic process only one or two posts after I specifically say that I AM in therapy and DO have official diagnoses.
But maybe that's really just me and my personal expectations.

My sincere apologies for being argumentative. I'm really not trying to cause any trouble or be a trouble-maker. I'm generally not in a very good place, currently and easily "triggered". It is absolutely not my intention to discuss or question moderator advice/comments/decisions. Really just trying to explain myself and the angle I'm coming from, mostly to resolve conflict.

I will think about opening a diary thread. Not quite sure if and where, yet, but I will stop using my intro thread as a diary. But maybe someone could update the title to indicate the changes and reference the last couple pages or, if I make one, a diary thread?

In my opinion, which you can take or leave, you are more defensive about your diagnosis than is warranted. If something doesn’t fit, skip it. Focus on what is helpful. Use the ignore button if needed. We are all peers. Nothing more, nothing less. You don’t have to prove your diagnosis if 1 person on the interwebs doubts it. Or even if 30 people doubt it.
I'm just slightly allergic when I get the feeling people read inattentively or only what they want to read. Including on insisting that I refuse to trust a professional/the diagnostic process only one or two posts after I specifically say that I AM in therapy and DO have official diagnoses.
You don’t have to prove that to anyone here. You can try to change everyone online... or you can develop the skill of taking what is helpful and disregarding the rest - which is an internal boundary skill that’s helpful in life and trauma recovery, not just navigating the interwebs. Not everyone that is wrong needs to be corrected.
But maybe someone could update the title to indicate the changes and reference the last couple pages or, if I make one, a diary thread?
I understand you are responding to mod input, and I’m going to add that for forum administration issues like to request changes to a title, please direct it to Contact Us.

If you don’t continue to post here, this thread will fall down on the list and not continue to get replies and the initial topic won’t be viewed as a current issue for you.

I strongly second the trauma diary suggestion. On a personal note, where my own trauma diary started isn’t where it is now, and that’s pretty common.

In my opinion, which you can take or leave, you are more defensive about your diagnosis than is warranted. [....] You don’t have to prove your diagnosis if 1 person on the interwebs doubts it. Or even if 30 people doubt it.

The thing is, I question everything. I may come across as defensive, maybe overly so, because maybe, for parts, I have to convince myself. Maybe they're right. Maybe I don't have anything. Maybe I've been deluding myself, or the therapist. There's a good chance this is true.

Being self-confident enough to just ignore criticism (whether it fits or not) is something I've never been good at, because I always reflect, always re-adjust myself. I'm strong-willed and not overly good with criticism (particularly on the personal level) and that's why I react defensive, but I'm not confident enough to not assume that they're right. And with everything that's being said here on the forums, about self-diagnosis and over-diagnosis etc., there's a lot of truth to it and I see and understand that.

I strongly second the trauma diary suggestion.

I've been looking at these and am not quite sure what the difference is between the two subforums? Also, while they're called "Trauma diaries", I don't necessarily have to talk about my trauma, right?

I've been looking at these and am not quite sure what the difference is between the two subforums? Also, while they're called "Trauma diaries", I don't necessarily have to talk about my trauma, right?
This would be a perfect Contact Us question.

Mods don’t answer forum related questions midthread as posts get missed / questions go unanswered, answers get lost, or can be incomplete or incorrect.

Please, do direct all how-to, forum related, mod action, & admin type Q’s to Contact Us

:D Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back