• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Is Ptsd Also...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amy, it is not a part of it but can coexist with it.

I imagine what is commonly known as complex trauma would always come along with an attachment disorder and if the symptoms are severe enough then Borderline Personality Disorder.

Think of someone who had a very happy childhood and then had a serious car accident and developed PTSD. Are they likely to develop an attachment? Its abuse and childhood that does the job.

A clinician friend once told me that, in her opinion, BPD was generally a negative epithet to describe aspects of C-PTSD. I read somewhere else that BPD was classically diagnosed when a therapist found a client too difficult to work with.

I'm not sure any of these diagnoses have much real meaning outside of insurance company billing departments, except in so far as they are useful, flexible archetypes for describing how people work and what kinds of interventions they may or may not respond to.

That said, as someone with a long history of C-PTSD (although, again, the new DSM has decided not to include that term), there are some behaviors associated with BPD that applied to me in the past and even more so, many behaviors associated with attachment disorders that applied to me as well.

I'm with you guys and thanks for your comments. I have complex trauma/ptsd and have many of the symptoms of bpd and attachment d.o. as well. You know I read somewhere too that bpd was like code for "difficult" or incurable patient--many negative undertones to it. But whatever. Could be totally not true

BPD is a personality disorder that can coexist with PTSD, and it's probably more common with C/PTSD, but it's its own disorder and mixing the two or thinking they inherently go together is wrong. There are many people with one or the other that don't have both.

Also, BPD is commonly used by therapists incorrectly to diagnose people they don't understand - it's often a 'catch all'. This is because it has very vague requirements to be diagnosed with, and because many therapists are lazy/bad. You could diagnose someone with BPD when they actually have one of a dozen other things - bipolar, depression, anxiety, etc. because it's very broad and vague in its description. A clear understanding of what BPD is is necessary before diagnosing someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back