1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Is there a reason...? is there something you’re supposed to accomplish? or just fate & random?

Discussion in 'General' started by Didn’t know, May 16, 2018 at 12:18 AM.

1. Didn’t know

Didn’t know New Member

I have a rare disease that makes my immune system almost useless. It is not known what causes it.

I do not know this to be true but I believe I am so ill due to constant unrelenting stress in childhood with no way to process or resolve it. Frankly, I think that this illness is so rare because some with this bodily response to trauma, do not survive childhood at all. I think it is a miracle that I am still here and often wonder if there is a reason.

Do you ever wonder why you are here and if there is something you are supposed to accomplish? Or is it just fate and random? Just musing here.

Sweetleaf, shimmerz, littleoc and 3 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. ladee

ladee All the hard work has been worth it ! Premium Member

I ask this question a lot. I look at this huge world and all the wonder outside of the mud ball we live on, and yes, ask myself, what am I suppose to accomplish.

I am grateful you did survive. Tho your journey has been harder than most, you are still here. Asking the important questions. Giving people a chance to think outside the tiny world we sometimes create for our selves in order to survive how ever we came into this world, and what we endured to stay here.

Like you, and probably all of us here, the chronic stress our bodies and minds have endured, does give us a different perspective on life. I am an old lady, tho not formerly educated, I did get a loving reminder yesterday, from someone I love and respect here, that I have an education of a different sort. Living my life.

To me , it's simple. We each have a purpose. To touch lives of others. Whether that be the scientist that finds the cure for cancer, or the homeless mom with kids that someone can reach out and help. And everything in between. Our lives have infinite possibilities. To leave our fingerprints on others hearts and minds, in a loving and compassionate way. Regardless of our beginnings, and our 'in betweens', we have choices.

We do get to explore, and dream, and hope. We are teachers and students at the same time. If that's what we choose. To pay attention to what we are drawn to. Be quite sometimes. Just sit still. And other times, to put all we have at the time, into something that matters. Even if only matters to us.

I'm old, and I'm tired and have chronic pain from stress. But there is still so much I want to see, and touch and smell and explore. I'll do what I can, while I can. I just refused to have an un-lived life, regardless of how it started.

What are your answers to the questions you asked? I am interested in why you asked the questions. And what is going on in your life, that has you contemplating 'the meaning of life'...

Tender hugs if you accept. And thank you for such a thought provoking thread.

PURUSHA, Sweetleaf, shimmerz and 4 others like this.
  4. Didn’t know

Didn’t know New Member

[email protected]
    Wow! Your wisdom is showing. I will need some time to process these words.
    I gratefully accept your tender hugs and I amazed at your articulate compassion.
    I’m struggling to see the page through my tears.

I will not be on here until later as I have a medical procedure today and tomorrow. I am one of a fortunate number of people on the planet who have access to excellent medical care.

I will be back to respond to this message when I am able.

Thank you.

5. Mee

Mee Well-Known Member

I don’t think it matters if we were born with a reason. If we want one we can make one.

Some people find their reason in a passion for arts or sports, some in raising a family. Some in travel or reading. Some in faith. Some in causes.

If you want a reason youu can choose one :) if you think fate needs to guide it then fate will have guided you to that choice!

6. Sweetleaf

Sweetleaf Well-Known Member

Reality is weird and for me, it's best to just NOT think about it. To not worry about it. hahaha.

To me we're just here, there does not need to be any rhyme or reason to it, no purpose is required. Self replicating molecules, left to themselves for billions of years, and now here we are. f*ck it, it's whatever, may as well try to make the ride as enjoyable as I can.

somerandomguy and Didn’t know like this.
  7. whiteraven

whiteraven Well-Known Member

Finding purpose has been important to me all my life. For me, if I don't have a purpose - if this life is not purposeful - then I am left with no hope.

I think there are two ways of looking at this for me. Each of us has our "soul's purpose." What we are meant to do, the difference we can make in this lifetime. Then there is the bigger purpose, the point in being here in the first place. Again, for me, this is about growing and developing our understanding through all of our trials, and as much as we can before we are gone. I'm still working on the "what then?" question, but I do believe we live many lives until we are "done."

Didn’t know, ladee and shimmerz like this.
  8. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

This is the only thing that had me put one foot in front of the other through all of this. My purpose. And I had to make that. I think because I made it, it was easier to visualize and thus, walk towards it in real life. And just recently, I have arrived. It doesn't look exactly the same as I pictured it, but it is pretty darned close. Every second of every day I reminded myself based on that visualization, how I was going to change this shitshow into something positive.

This all had to have meaning. I don't believe in god, I despise the universe at this point, so it was only I who could choose to assign meaning to this freaking nightmare.

Last edited: May 16, 2018 at 9:19 PM
    Didn’t know, ladee and whiteraven like this.
  9. whiteraven

Yeah. I think some need to "make" or create their purpose, while others have had one since they can remember (like me) and didn't realize it and/or couldn't fulfill it.

Didn’t know and ladee like this.
  10. shimmerz

shimmerz My silence spoke a thousand words you never heard Premium Member

My purpose has been dynamic. As a matter of fact, as the original purpose I thought I was put here for, disintigrated due to the complexities of my situation, I am pretty certain I suffered through more because I was struggling to redefine my purpose. I think my purpose used to ground me. I knew what I was doing, why I was doing it, how I was doing it. It seemed like an impossible task for me to buy into that purpose having to be adjusted.

ladee and Didn’t know like this.
  11. whiteraven

I haven't been able to fulfill my original purpose (which I've known about since I was about 8) until just recently. As a matter of fact, I'm going to begin working on it in earnest this weekend. And I did have to re-tool it, because circumstances simply didn't allow me to follow-through with what I thought would move me in the right direction.

But see, my actual purpose - the basic foundation - never really changed. Only how I would bring it to fruition. One thing I have learned is that everything is in a constant state of flux and if we don't move with it, we will stay stuck. So I found another way to honor that purpose.

ladee and shimmerz like this.
  12. Didn’t know

Didn’t know New Member

[email protected] and all who shared their thoughts,
    Im up all night due to having had to take prednisone before my procedure today. So it seemed like a good time to write.

I found all of your responses interesting and diverse. For some we are here and there is no grand scheme and for others finding meaning is extremely important.

I fall into the latter catagory. I would not know how to comprehend all that I have been through if I could not find some meaning in it. I have no idea if I am correct in this belief but I know it gives me comfort to think there is a reason things happen.

I think perhaps, as ladee said, we are here for each other. To love and to comfort one another through the darkness. I have had many years when I was so happy I was deliriously conscious of it. I talk to myself a lot and I can remember just sitting on my front porch and saying "Im so happy". I felt more blessed than anyone on the planet. I felt loved and a sense of belonging and I felt like I was contributing, and that I had accomplished my goals ...these are the things that bring me joy.

Then swoosh!! Gone in a second! What had I been thinking? It seems at those times as if all had been a lie, an illusion. I wonder was any of it real? I have struggled with trust, in myself, could I be trusted to know how I felt? Was I happy? Was my happiness foolish. Is my sadness more true? My memories of being happy now cause me pain.

I wish I knew the answers but I do not. The last few years my perception has been that I am mostly unhappy and have failed to meet my goals, have lost the love of my family and sense of belonging and have accomplished nothing.

I still believe that there are answers that are bigger than just what I can see in the moment. At times like this I see myself as being cut off from the light and unable to see the joy and the beauty. It is there, my light is just not bright enough to illuminate it. I hope this is so. I hope to find joy again. I am truly grateful for what I have but the happiness that I felt before is out of reach.

I guess I believe that Im here for a reason and that reason exists in spite of how I feel about myself or the reason I am here. I hope to leave this planet just a little better than I found it. I don't know that I will but I think that would be enough.

Thanks for all of your responses.

shimmerz, whiteraven and ladee like this.
Show Sidebar