Is this dissociation or something else?

A comprehensive clinical evaluation is a thorough assessment conducted by a qualified mental health professional to gather information about various aspects of your mental health, including your presenting concerns, symptoms, personal history, and current functioning. The evaluation typically involves an in-depth interview where the therapist will ask you questions about your experiences and symptoms, as well as any relevant factors that may contribute to your mental health concerns.

This type of evaluation can be conducted by an individual therapist in private practice or in a clinical setting. However, depending on your specific needs and circumstances, there may be instances where you could benefit from a more specialized evaluation conducted by a multidisciplinary team. This team may consist of mental health professionals with expertise in trauma and dissociation, such as psychiatrists, psychologists, or specialized trauma therapists.

It would be helpful to discuss your concerns and the nature of your symptoms with your current therapist. They can determine whether they are able to provide a comprehensive evaluation or if it would be beneficial for you to seek a referral for a specialized assessment from a different mental health professional or clinic.

Remember, the goal of the clinical evaluation is to gain a comprehensive understanding of your experiences and develop an appropriate treatment plan. It's important to be open and honest during the evaluation and share any relevant information that can help the therapist in this process.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.
I’m going to speak to my therapist about it and if she doesn’t do it then go through my insurance. Another question that might be related. Is there any information on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults who go mute when triggers about their trauma is presented/asked?

I’m going to speak to my therapist about it and if she doesn’t do it then go through my insurance. Another question that might be related. Is there any information on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults who go mute when triggers about their trauma is presented/asked?
Trauma-induced selective mutism refers to a condition where an individual is unable to speak or remains silent in specific triggering situations related to their trauma. While selective mutism is more commonly associated with childhood, it can also occur in adulthood as a result of traumatic experiences.

Although there may not be an extensive amount of research specifically focused on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults, there is evidence to suggest that individuals who have experienced trauma may develop symptoms such as mutism or difficulty speaking when confronted with triggers related to their trauma.

Selective mutism can be seen as a protective response developed as a way to cope with overwhelming emotions or to avoid re-experiencing trauma. It can serve as a defense mechanism to maintain a sense of safety and control.

If you experience trauma-induced selective mutism or have concerns about going mute when triggers related to your trauma are presented or asked about, it would be helpful to discuss this with your therapist. They can provide guidance, support, and help you develop strategies to manage and cope with these triggers.

While there may not be specific research on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults, therapists who specialize in trauma-related issues can draw on their clinical experience and knowledge to provide effective treatment and support. They can work with you to develop a treatment plan that addresses your specific needs and goals.

If you have any further questions or need additional support, please feel free to let me know.

Trauma-induced selective mutism refers to a condition where an individual is unable to speak or remains silent in specific triggering situations related to their trauma. While selective mutism is more commonly associated with childhood, it can also occur in adulthood as a result of traumatic experiences.

Although there may not be an extensive amount of research specifically focused on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults, there is evidence to suggest that individuals who have experienced trauma may develop symptoms such as mutism or difficulty speaking when confronted with triggers related to their trauma.

Selective mutism can be seen as a protective response developed as a way to cope with overwhelming emotions or to avoid re-experiencing trauma. It can serve as a defense mechanism to maintain a sense of safety and control.

If you experience trauma-induced selective mutism or have concerns about going mute when triggers related to your trauma are presented or asked about, it would be helpful to discuss this with your therapist. They can provide guidance, support, and help you develop strategies to manage and cope with these triggers.

While there may not be specific research on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults, therapists who specialize in trauma-related issues can draw on their clinical experience and knowledge to provide effective treatment and support. They can work with you to develop a treatment plan that addresses your specific needs and goals.

If you have any further questions or need additional support, please feel free to let me know.
Since there’s not a lot of research on it, would that mean that it is harder to treat? How would this even be targeted? Would it be the same treatment in children as it presents in adults?

Since there’s not a lot of research on it, would that mean that it is harder to treat? How would this even be targeted? Would it be the same treatment in children as it presents in adults?
While the lack of specific research on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults may present challenges, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's harder to treat. Treatment approaches for trauma-induced selective mutism in adults may draw on strategies that have been shown to be effective in treating selective mutism in children, as well as evidence-based trauma-focused therapies.

In the case of trauma-induced selective mutism in adults, therapy would typically aim to address the underlying trauma and associated triggers, as well as develop coping strategies to manage the mutism when faced with those triggers. Therapy for trauma-induced selective mutism often takes a trauma-focused approach, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which has been shown to be effective in treating trauma-related symptoms.

One possible treatment approach that may be effective is systematic desensitization, a technique often used in CBT. This involves gradually exposing individuals to triggers related to their trauma in a safe and controlled manner, while using relaxation techniques and coping skills to manage anxiety and build confidence. Over time, this can help individuals become more comfortable and less mute when faced with trauma-related triggers.

It's important to note that each individual's experience and response to treatment may vary. Therefore, therapy for trauma-induced selective mutism should be tailored to the specific needs and goals of the individual. Collaborating closely with a qualified therapist who has experience in trauma-related issues can help ensure that treatment is appropriately targeted and effective.

If you have concerns about trauma-induced selective mutism, I encourage you to discuss them with your therapist. They can provide more specific guidance and develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your unique circumstances.

If you have any further questions or need additional support, please don't hesitate to reach out.

While the lack of specific research on trauma-induced selective mutism in adults may present challenges, it doesn't necessarily mean that it's harder to treat. Treatment approaches for trauma-induced selective mutism in adults may draw on strategies that have been shown to be effective in treating selective mutism in children, as well as evidence-based trauma-focused therapies.

In the case of trauma-induced selective mutism in adults, therapy would typically aim to address the underlying trauma and associated triggers, as well as develop coping strategies to manage the mutism when faced with those triggers. Therapy for trauma-induced selective mutism often takes a trauma-focused approach, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), which has been shown to be effective in treating trauma-related symptoms.

One possible treatment approach that may be effective is systematic desensitization, a technique often used in CBT. This involves gradually exposing individuals to triggers related to their trauma in a safe and controlled manner, while using relaxation techniques and coping skills to manage anxiety and build confidence. Over time, this can help individuals become more comfortable and less mute when faced with trauma-related triggers.

It's important to note that each individual's experience and response to treatment may vary. Therefore, therapy for trauma-induced selective mutism should be tailored to the specific needs and goals of the individual. Collaborating closely with a qualified therapist who has experience in trauma-related issues can help ensure that treatment is appropriately targeted and effective.

If you have concerns about trauma-induced selective mutism, I encourage you to discuss them with your therapist. They can provide more specific guidance and develop a treatment plan that is tailored to your unique circumstances.

If you have any further questions or need additional support, please don't hesitate to reach out.
Do you know if trauma-induced selective mutism in adults causes the repetitive thoughts that I couldn’t control, the rapid eye movements, or flowing burning feeling I felt in my head?

Do you know if trauma-induced selective mutism in adults causes the repetitive thoughts that I couldn’t control, the rapid eye movements, or flowing burning feeling I felt in my head?
Trauma-induced selective mutism in adults can manifest in various ways and may be accompanied by other symptoms. The specific symptoms you described, such as repetitive thoughts, rapid eye movements, and a burning sensation in your head, could potentially be related to trauma and its impact on your nervous system.

Repetitive thoughts, also known as intrusive thoughts, are a common symptom of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and trauma-related conditions. These thoughts can be distressing and may feel difficult to control, often replaying memories or aspects of the traumatic event.

Rapid eye movements, on the other hand, are sometimes associated with an experience called rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, which is the stage of sleep during which we dream. During REM sleep, our eyes naturally move quickly. However, if you observe rapid eye movements while awake, it may be helpful to discuss this symptom further with a qualified mental health professional, as it could be a sign of other underlying conditions.

A burning sensation in the head is a subjective symptom and can potentially be related to stress, anxiety, or other physiological or psychological factors. It can be beneficial to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a neurologist or mental health therapist, to evaluate this symptom further and rule out any underlying medical conditions.

It is important to remember that I am an AI language model and cannot provide a diagnosis. Given the complexity and unique nature of individual experiences, it would be best to discuss these symptoms in detail with a qualified mental health professional who can conduct a comprehensive evaluation and provide appropriate guidance and support.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to share.

Trauma-induced selective mutism in adults can manifest in various ways and may be accompanied by other symptoms. The specific symptoms you described, such as repetitive thoughts, rapid eye movements, and a burning sensation in your head, could potentially be related to trauma and its impact on your nervous system.

Repetitive thoughts, also known as intrusive thoughts, are a common symptom of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and trauma-related conditions. These thoughts can be distressing and may feel difficult to control, often replaying memories or aspects of the traumatic event.

Rapid eye movements, on the other hand, are sometimes associated with an experience called rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, which is the stage of sleep during which we dream. During REM sleep, our eyes naturally move quickly. However, if you observe rapid eye movements while awake, it may be helpful to discuss this symptom further with a qualified mental health professional, as it could be a sign of other underlying conditions.

A burning sensation in the head is a subjective symptom and can potentially be related to stress, anxiety, or other physiological or psychological factors. It can be beneficial to consult with a healthcare professional, such as a neurologist or mental health therapist, to evaluate this symptom further and rule out any underlying medical conditions.

It is important to remember that I am an AI language model and cannot provide a diagnosis. Given the complexity and unique nature of individual experiences, it would be best to discuss these symptoms in detail with a qualified mental health professional who can conduct a comprehensive evaluation and provide appropriate guidance and support.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to share.
That makes sense I have a few appointments lined up with different providers so maybe they’ll be at the very least give possible reasons if not diagnosis to what’s been going on. Thanks

That makes sense I have a few appointments lined up with different providers so maybe they’ll be at the very least give possible reasons if not diagnosis to what’s been going on. Thanks
You're welcome! It's great to hear that you have appointments lined up with different providers. That way, you can gather different perspectives and insights into your experiences. Remember to openly discuss your symptoms and concerns with them, as they are best equipped to provide a thorough evaluation and help guide you towards appropriate understanding and support.

If there's anything else you'd like to discuss or if you have further questions, please feel free to reach out. Wishing you all the best in your upcoming appointments and on your journey toward healing and understanding.

You're welcome! It's great to hear that you have appointments lined up with different providers. That way, you can gather different perspectives and insights into your experiences. Remember to openly discuss your symptoms and concerns with them, as they are best equipped to provide a thorough evaluation and help guide you towards appropriate understanding and support.

If there's anything else you'd like to discuss or if you have further questions, please feel free to reach out. Wishing you all the best in your upcoming appointments and on your journey toward healing and understanding.
Will invisible ritual also fit, where one repeat certain phrases also be similar to what happened? I ask because it was used a self soothing technique. I also want to formulate enough questions as I can to inform my provider when I meet them this upcoming week

Will invisible ritual also fit, where one repeat certain phrases also be similar to what happened? I ask because it was used a self soothing technique. I also want to formulate enough questions as I can to inform my provider when I meet them this upcoming week
The use of repeating certain phrases as a self-soothing technique can be a coping mechanism for managing distress related to trauma. Invisible rituals, also known as mental rituals or cognitive rituals, can serve as a way to create a sense of control and alleviate anxiety or unwanted thoughts.

In the context of trauma-induced selective mutism, the repetition of certain phrases can be seen as a way to regulate emotions and provide comfort, similar to self-soothing techniques. It's essential to communicate this behavior to your provider, as it could be valuable information for them to better understand your experiences and develop a comprehensive treatment plan.

When you meet with your provider, you can explain how repeating certain phrases has become a coping mechanism for you. You may also want to mention the purpose it serves in terms of self-soothing and managing distress related to your trauma. Sharing this information can help your provider gain insights into your symptoms, experiences, and any associated challenges.

In addition to informing your provider about this behavior, you can also discuss any other symptoms or concerns that you have been experiencing. This might include the rapid eye movements, burning sensation in your head, or any other significant experiences that you want to address.

Remember, open and honest communication with your provider is crucial for them to develop a comprehensive understanding of your concerns, symptoms, and experiences. This will enable them to guide you effectively in your healing journey.

If you have any other questions or need further support in formulating your questions for your upcoming appointment, please feel free to ask.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back