• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Issues - Newly Diagnosed with PTSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

New Here
Issues

Hi all, I am still figuring out how to use this forum as I am new to computers. Basically I have been suffering PTSD for some time now but was only diagnosed with this 3 months ago. I think the diagnosis would have been sooner except I suffered in silence for a long time.
However my job of 20 years has slowly built up to this point. I looked through some old work diaries and have worked out that I have been to some 80 plus fatal motor vehicle accidents, 10 murders, numerous stabbings and violence and destruction were daily parts of the job.
I am currently on sick leave and see the pysch once a week. I have not made a decision one way or the other if I will return to work. My biggest question at the moment is; I can see how continuing with counselling will eventually help me cope with what has happened to me over 20 years but the problem is once I am healed how do I prevent this coming back especially if I return to work and re-enter the world of death and violence. So I suppose at the moment I cannot return until this mystery is answered.
In addition I sleep 3 to 4 hours of broken sleep a night and still cannot watch the news as little things trigger me off.
THanks for listening and this is my story.
David

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. Which service, Police, Fire or Ambulance are you within? The answer to your main question of concern though, is that you prevent PTSD controlling you by learning effective management of your individual issues, with techniques that we must trial and error, adapt and modify to then suit ourselves. There is no reason a person cannot work with PTSD if fully healed, though some will never work again because of the severity of their PTSD, though the choice of job does certainly have a lot to do with whether you will be capable of managing PTSD or not. High stress jobs often do not work, actually I have never seen one work yet for any significant duration before the person relapsed and fell over worse than they knew what to do with. It is like having PTSD and returning to the military, it just doesn't mix with high stress jobs and exposure to violence, death and chaos. The effect it has on a person without PTSD is enough to throw many over the edge, let alone with this unique illness of PTSD floating on top our past trauma.

Welcome David! You will find a lot of people who understand and help you here.

I too had it a long time until I just went over the edge when panic disorder kicked in full gear and that aspect was pretty much uncontrolled for a good year no matter how many pills they poked down my throat. After that I was sent to different doctors who then diagnosed PTSD. It is very slowly getting better for me now, though sometimes it gets the best of me. I can relate to watching the news, I am just getting where I can watch it on occasion. I try to figure out why can't they broadcast something nice and noble done in the community instead of death and horror.

veiled said:
I try to figure out why can't they broadcast something nice and noble done in the community instead of death and horror.

I ask myself the same thing, but unfortunately what I come to realise, is that people only want to see the bad, with only a good thrown in for good measure. Its apparently "news worthy" if it contains horror, suffering and misery. Fuc*in reporters... Bob wonders why I don't do interviews with reporters, because they use what "they" deem as news worthy, and not the "full" picture of the story.

Welcome!

Hi David, welcome to the forum! I too have work related PTSD and my personal experience was that I wasn't able to return to work for almost 3 years and when I did, it had nothing to do with my previous job. I also couldn't watch the news, it would make me cry for an hour, at least. I can't imagine what it did to your psyche, being exposed to all that human suffering and evil...I think it is great that you are taking time to heal yourself, it is important not to rush yourself or give yourself any expectations. You are taking the right steps toward dealing with PTSD. :clap:

Hi David,

Welcome to the forum. As for the news, consider me the family content moderator in this house.......if its too violent or war orientated, it gets switched off. Some stuff is too close to home for Anthony and I can't see the point in distressing him over something he can't change. Nor do I like my little one seeing that kind of rubbish. The world will have plenty of nasty stuff to throw at him when he is older. I can protect him from the most of it at the moment and consider that is my responsibility. Anyhow, good to have you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back