• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

It’s sad when we turn on each other

Status
Not open for further replies.

EveHarrington

MyPTSD Pro
I was a bit saddened tonight when watching the news. More Harvey Weinstein stuff, this time involving Meryl Streep. I’m not sure why Rose McGowan saw fit to attack her when Meryl knew nothing about Harvey’s extracurricular activities. Meryl knew nothing and was attacked. Gee, Rose, I think those in glass houses shouldn’t throw rocks as you are guilty of exactly what you’ve falsely accused Meryl of (not coming forward). I understand Rose is upset, and has since deleted her tweet about Meryl (not a retraction imho), but still. Women need to be uniting and not pointing fingers at each other about how they are horrible for not coming forward sooner. Most abused women say nothing. Nobody needs to be attacked for not saying something sooner. (This is a typical attack against victims to discredit them when they don’t come forward soon enough.) Sad to say, but Rose’s actions are distracting us from what we need to be focusing on.

Hm no I disagree.

There were plenty in Hollywood who knew of his reputation, and an A list actress like Meryl wouldn't have *not* been privy to that info-- it's HIGHLY unlikely. There were A list actors who warned and accompanied actresses who they knew may be left alone in his company. Shes trying to protect herself because now people are looking at her and asking questions. She's trying to save her career and reputation.

Meryl also gave standing ovation to Roman Polanski... a known puke pedophile. She's also a huge fan of Woody Allen who we all know is a incestuous pedo.

She's delusional and in her own world; somewhere up her a##. I was disappointed as I once loved Meryl. But she's a fake. She's living in Hollywood where they all are fake.

I feel bad for Rose. She's cracking. Bless the victims. Shame the *complicit*.

Celebrity gossip will always be overblown and distract from real issues. Because that’s the whole purpose of such gossip.

Just because some can act and/entertain doesn’t mean they understand how to be in healthy relationships or be seen as a cultural societal leader on trauma.

Maybe the real issue is that perhaps we should not put them up on a pedestal because they will fail us.

And some of them are so rich they are out of touch
Apparently there's a name for that; "f¥ck off money" having enough money to not have to put up with other people, you can just tell them to "off".

Just because some can act and/entertain doesn’t mean they understand how to be in healthy relationships or be seen as a cultural societal leader on trauma.

There was a blog piece about this a lot of years ago, the gist of it was "I like your acting, but that doesn't mean that I want to hear your personal opinions, so just stick to the entertaining"

Maybe the real issue is that perhaps we should not put them up on a pedestal because they will fail us.
Very much agree!

There are Inconsistencies in everyone. Good bits and bad bits. (OK, the Levi Straussians assume consistency and try to explain away the apparent Inconsistencies by the greatness of the person and our inability to see the deep consistency, imo they're a bunch of cultists)

At least with actors and entertainers, they're not elevated to positions where their human fallibilities and Inconsistencies get to hurt everyone. However much some of them would like to be in those positions.

Isn’t there a difference between not coming forward about own abuse/ situation and remaining silent in support of someone you think transgresses when you are not in a position of being traumatised?

I am ill informed about the Meryl Streep and Rose McGowan story ....however, victims are often threatened and shamed into staying silent and it is a true shame when any one group of people turns on it's own members, especially survivors. and I do know this much...

....Women coming forward, (even late), is what paved the way for men like me, (a survivor of sexual child abuse), to come forward.

So, I wanted to give a shout out to all women who were abused for having the guts and determination to move forward with their stories and their healing, even if it took them awhile!!!

Well done ladies, well done!!!

PS: I didn't mean to go off topic so please let me know if I have flubbed up, it certainly was not my intention. Thank you!!!

Lion

Last edited:
I kind of think everyone, famous or not, will do whatever they feel serves them best. I'm not really up to date with this specific situation. But I don't think it's dickish or selfish to remain silent in some situations. Nobody can be a voice for every single issue going. People will come forward or they won't. Or they will stay silent when other people come forwards and everyone has their own reasons for everything. It's unfair to put judgement on them for that, at worst she is protecting herself and there is nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back