1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

It happened, again

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cactus_jack, Sep 26, 2017.

1. nowthisisme

nowthisisme Active Member

wow it breaks my heart to read this. I was raised in a very conservative religion and i am still sami religious but I've seen first hand what this kind of pressure can do to a person. making a child feel guilty, scared, and paranoid over something that has no merit is just wrong!
    geez .. asking for forgiveness and crying just for changing in a restroom.
    Rain and Ronin like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. LeahRuth

LeahRuth New Member

Hi Jack
    I was severely abused as a kid. I had many experiences similar to the one you describe, extreme hatred and shame toward my own body, breaking down in random public places because I couldn't understand what was wrong with me, wanting to die rather than live in this body any longer. I came to find out later in life about certain key people who knew all along what was happening, though they couldn't help me. I can tell you from personal experience that, even if you don't do anything, or if the authorities can't do anything to help this kid, just having someone, even a stranger, who saw and knew makes a big difference. Even the caring in a stranger's eyes makes an enormous difference to a kid suffering with abuse. Believe me when I tell you that you are making a difference in this kid's life, even if you never speak to him.

I also know that witnessing another human being suffering like this, especially a child, is very hard, maybe the hardest thing in life. You want to help them, but you can't. The best you can do is witness. That in itself is a big part of helping that person recover. He's got his own road to travel. You're just a landmark on that road, and believe me, he will probably never forget you.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2017
    Ronin and Rain like this.