• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

It was actually just the wind, now I feel stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyBloke

New Here
My brother has had friends round this past month or two, he's high school aged and gov't lockdown means no school sometimes, hey ho. Two or three of these afternoons I swear I could hear moaning through where the wall meets the ceiling. I spent days now unable to sit down and write, play games or anything else I might do in my free time, just hear the noise and react.

I think I was panicking? I don't know though, racing heart, pacing about room like I was about to be in a fight.

Just today I heard the noise again,despite the fact no one was home. Its October so its all wind and storms over here, the wind was whistling through the window because it was left open, like me at that age; brother never cleans room or takes care of surroundings, so wind whistles through the open window if it isn't closed in the evening.

I've spent several days now in fight mode over nothing! Even that being said, it should be none of my business, but I still stop what I'm doing and listen like the time someone broke in, expecting all hell to break loose.

What's wrong with me

My brother has had friends round this past month or two, he's high school aged and gov't lockdown means no school sometimes, hey ho. Two or three of these afternoons I swear I could hear moaning through where the wall meets the ceiling. I spent days now unable to sit down and write, play games or anything else I might do in my free time, just hear the noise and react.

I think I was panicking? I don't know though, racing heart, pacing about room like I was about to be in a fight.

Just today I heard the noise again,despite the fact no one was home. Its October so its all wind and storms over here, the wind was whistling through the window because it was left open, like me at that age; brother never cleans room or takes care of surroundings, so wind whistles through the open window if it isn't closed in the evening.

I've spent several days now in fight mode over nothing! Even that being said, it should be none of my business, but I still stop what I'm doing and listen like the time someone broke in, expecting all hell to break loose.

What's wrong with me
It sounds like hypervigilance. My guy is like this, if he hears any out- of-the-ordinary sounds outside he turns stuff down or off and listens or goes outside.

It's a totally common and normal survival response after threatening experiences.
I'm gonna say more common for guys, as I have CPTSD and I hide and zone out, rather than explore and go into fight mode.

Your brain is designed to protect your body from danger, so anything that reminds it of a life-threatening event will elicit the response that will ensure a survival response.

These could be any combination of "fight" , "flight" "freeze" "fawn" as the primary ones. Which translate as a whole range of physiological responses; hypervigilance and adrenal responses are some that fall under the "fight" response.

The more that you can tell yourself "That's just the wind" and "That's just my brain and nervous system being hypervigilant, it's just a survival response. I'm ok. I'm safe" you will, over time, calm down and get used to those sounds.

Even though it could keep happening, for some time. It's important to try to understand your body is just trying to keep you safe by responding like that.

Bodies are like animals or children, they understand if you are patient with them and show them they are safe, they don't respond so well to being treated unkindly or shamed. So just remind yourself "It's nothing to be scared of and if you need to check, check, but, don't be upset with yourself and if you do, comfort yourself as you would if you were dealing with a frightened dog or a small child.

Most of us are hypersensitive to sounds. And many times it makes us scared or anxious. But everything Mums said is on point. And it is important for you to tell yourself you are safe, over and over.

Nothing to feel stupid about. You are trying to get started on a healing path and have endured this for many years alone. Kudos for posting!!! Glad it was only the wind!

I've spent several days now in fight mode over nothing
Your not stupid and it wasn't over nothing. It was a potential repeat of an experience you have already lived thru so if course it would put you on high alert. Because you know how fast things can go south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back