• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Jolting awake!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Changing4Best

MyPTSD Pro
Jolting Awake!

I had this happen 3 times today when I was trying to nap. I would be dozing off to sleep one second and the next, all my muscles would jolt or jump and I would be wide awake, eyes just about popping out of their sockets! I had the feeling I dreamed something awful, or started to, and this reaction was to get away from it, whatever it was.

Now I don't feel like going to sleep tonight either, because this is a very disturbing feeling, as if someone has stuck a gun on me somewhere and said, "Stick 'em up!" like they used to do in the movies and when we were kids, just for fun too. But this feeling is no joke. It causes some kind of terror.

Has this ever happened to you?

I dont know if Im right but I dont think it was a dream that you had that caused you to jolt awake. I once read that you dont start to dream until 1 or 2 hours into sleep, so maybe what happened is that as you started to doze off, your brain probably became aware of the fact that it is relaxing, and that caused you to panic and wake up. It happens to me sometimes. Its like I start to calm down enough to fall asleep, and then its like I just jolt awake for no reason really other than that I was relaxed and wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings, that whole hyperarousal thing I guess.

It helps when I just focus on my breathing and just keep reassuring myself that Im safe. Maybe try watching a show that you like that you find calming, I rewatch episodes of Friends, and that works for me, plus it helps that Ive watched it before because it is predictable so there are no surprises. Ive heard of aromatherapy, just having a calming, soft smell in your room and try focusing on that. I also sleep with a stuffed animal, so because it soothes me when I hug it, as childish as it seems. Plus when I do wake up and Im panicked, it reassures me that Im safe when I hug it.

Hope you find something that helps. I hope you have a good sleep. Good luck.

Thanks for telling us what it is. I just googled it. I just always thought it was because of PTSD why it was happening. I didn't know it was such a 'normal' thing. I just thought it was because I got too relaxed and my brain started to freak out about not being more aware.

Now there are instances where I have been asleep having a nightmare and jumped up and run about 10 or 15 feet before I realized that I am ok.. that completely freaks me out.

I’ve done that too sometimes. I’ve kind of gotten used to it... my husband has not. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t such an active sleeper

Oh yes, active sleeper is an understatement about me! Blankets, etc. get all thrown around when I sleep. I have no clue I do this either! I would LIKE to end up in a little cocoon of blankets and such, but instead I end up all twisted between them LOL... when I was married my poor husband first decided we needed a Queen sized bed. Then he did several hours of sleep on the couch while watching TV half the night most nights. Then MAYBE I had quieted down enough for him to sleep in our bed. He never complained either! I feel so bad for him, now that I think of it. But back to this issue, I have been doing it on and off all my life, but since I have early childhood trauma, I had thought it was rooted in that. Nice to know I am just doing something "normal" for once in my life! LOL...

Jolting Awake!

I had this happen 3 times today when I was trying to nap. I would be dozing off to s...

I’ve had it happen to me quite a few times. I recently talked to my friend about it and she was so mad that I can control waking up from my own sleep (she said she can’t do that). If I’m dreaming of something that I don’t want to, I can make myself wake up and I “jolt”. Another thing that happens to me, is if I’m anxiety ridden and stressed out, I wake up from my sleep feeling like I can’t catch my breathe and my heart is pounding out of my chest. I told my therapist a few days ago, and he said it’s panic attacks.

Look up "hypnic jerk" or "sleep start" as it is a fairly common occurrence and happens to everyone at so...

The speculation is that is an evolutionary hold over from times when we slept in the tries like our closest relative the bonobos still do. They even make a nest and a pillow to sleep in. When we sense we are falling, we wake up rapidly presumably to catch ourselves before we fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back