• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Jordan Peterson's Self Disclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinyflame

MyPTSD Pro
I have never followed him, but anyone see this video on his benzodiazepine cessation, health issues and recovery? 😳

Or this:

Yes pretty disturbing @ladee . As I said, I never really knew much about him- just heard a podcast of his about 12 life lessons and it cycled to it. Then the poor guy got covid, which makes you wonder with the pneumonia if the covid was actually acquired earlier than he thinks?

I think the 12 lessons podcast (pre-this), or just a thumbnail thought, seems to also show what he saw after, that his family and friends helped him, might have been a better route to seek out originally, too vs the benzos. But easiest and most normal thing to fall in to, esp protecting others. Even if he didn't think it was so possible they would support and help him, as he said. Like he said too, many families are in a circ;e choking each other to death in anger, etc.

Mind you, I just heard some podcast book on attachment that said self-resiliency is not independence (? . I don't get that and they didn't explain, or I didn't understand or I didn't remember?) And then Gabor Mate saying re: attachment and love, love is not the feeling, but the ability to let others being themselves and want them in your presence in that way (I'm not explaining it well). And that ultimately you can't really do that if you are expecting the worst. And you can give love but fear attaching (expecting the worst again).

What I did like Peterson said in 12 lessons video, was try not to allow a tragedy to turn in to Hell, which as he said is infinitely real and worse. (Like relatives fighting at a funeral/ death). I think many things, including covid, ptsd and much, has a great potential to fall in to many types of hell. Yet equally, he was sort of forced in to it with the above. Which is hugely forced vulnerability but also was what it was, unbearable as he said. Yet, he is still here, as is his wife. And said there are beautiful moments, like he/ (they) got a chance to dance with his wife. (They were both still 'here'). He did say in something else, what is needed is to bring forward the good or amazing revelations, and share whatever could help others.

Last edited:
I haven't watched anything else by him but what you posted. I wish he had said how much benzo's he ended up taking and still wonder why he did an abrupt stop to them. It is a very dangerous drug to just stop taking. Him talking about the delusions he was having. Can be very real when you just stop taking this med.

But I feel any med you take, possibly get addicted to, and not being informed or informing yourself about the side effects, etc. is surprising from an educated man such as himself!

I was on benzo's for over ten years. My detox was very slow and monitored by two doctors. I had an easy detox compared to things I have read and heard. He said he was taking .25, but didn't say how much he ended up taking.

I had been off benzos for almost two years when my son died. I was not sleeping longer than an hour or two at a time. Contacted my PA and we had a long conversation about putting me back on benzos. She gave me 14 pills, .5 and I cut them into fourths. I take one-fourth of a .5. And I have never had to have it refilled in less than 35 to 40 days.

I will have to look at his other podcasts and videos to educate myself about the things he is referring to. And yes, he seemed very humbled by so many people caring for and about him. Sometimes we have to have life-altering experiences for us to see how much we are loved. Seems that is what happened with him.

Again, thank you for sharing this.

some podcast book on attachment that said self-resiliency is not independence (? . I don't get that
I was just reading about dependency and the goal of therapy not being independence but interdependence. So maybe a person can be self-resilient and also interdependent and independence doesn’t necessarily mean resilient? Independence can be a block to vulnerability, and maybe a block to self awareness which is a gateway to self-resilience?

This has been on my mind so it caught my attention. And Jordan Peterson’s openness about his ordeal is helpful in modeling exposure—difficult stuff!

Idk @OliveJewel I was raised to be independent, and becoming vulnerable felt like a loss of resilience. Not that I would describe myself as resilient, just expecting I had only myself as a resource.

Interdependence in relationships I think is always the goal. Able to give and receive in safety.

Just ETA @OliveJewel , I think perhaps resiliency has less to do with independence/ interdependence (other than the support associated with the latter), as perhaps an internal locus of control (feeling you have agency or can effect events), self-confidence or a sense of competency, good social and self-care skills (to manage stress), and the ability to ask for help (that would be less independent). Also physical health, less chronic pain (which drains energy), etc. JMHO.

Just ETA @OliveJewel , I think perhaps resiliency has less to do with independence/ interdependence (other than the support associated with the latter), as perhaps an internal locus of control (feeling you have agency or can effect events), self-confidence or a sense of competency, good social and self-care skills (to manage stress), and the ability to ask for help (that would be less independent). Also physical health, less chronic pain (which drains energy), etc. JMHO.
I agree with you. I think resiliency is when a person can move forward with relative ease or quickness from a problem or tough situation......via the ability to "let go" of control over a situation.... or in situations where a person can have an impact in resolving a situation, and can do so without getting caught up in their own or other's emotions to the extent that it creates dysfunction (in self care, social situations, or makes them feel negatively -, worthless, inept, unworthy, etc.). I think the key to resiliency is that one is in a positive emotional space allowing them to have the ability to manage issues with relative ease or effort.....and a sense of quickness in resolving or moving past tough situations or recovering from them. Just my opinion, but I think one needs to be in a good place and believe in themself, feeling competent or self-confident like you said, in order to able to be resilient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back