• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just a heads up - privacy issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogthroat

MyPTSD Pro
Hey just so you know when I Google PTSD Forum it brings up some of you all's usernames underneath the website description that you can click on. You can click on that username and see the person's status and posts.

@littleoc, @MrMoonlight @tryingtocope18 you were there and I clicked on you and saw your profile. I was told in a ticket awhile back that this stuff didn't make it on search engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't fu*king mind, I'm already well known by some hackers. Let them read and take part of their own sh*t.
It's what I know, an open forum and all information online, stays online lol

I tried that and got a different user's profile. I think Google is just catching on random names. It's not a big deal, I think, because any guest can come in and see all of our profiles anyway. This is an anonymous forum, so it's unlikely to cause many problems, but people can lock down their profiles if it makes them uncomfortable.

Edit: You may want to send a help ticket and see what the mods say.

I was told in a ticket awhile back that this stuff didn't make it on search engines.
No. You were told that the Trauma Diaries (Members) sub-forum is not indexed by search engines, nor is it readable to anyone who is not a member. A small number of our sub-forums work this way; the majority of the site is indexed by search engines.
You can click on that username and see the person's status and posts.
The profile pop-up will come up, if someone clicks a username. The profile pop-up is this card:
Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 10.03.18 PM.png
any guest can come in and see all of our profiles anyway.
No - they can click a username and see the profile pop-up, but any member can set their profile page to be private.

When that's done, anyone who clicks on 'profile page' (guest or member, only staff are exempt), will get an error message.

To do this, go to: Settings--> Privacy--> uncheck "view your details on your profile page"

(You'll see other options as well, to restrict viewing to members only, control who can post on your profile, etc.)

This is an anonymous forum
Just to be clear - it's as anonymous as any user makes it. So, if one picks a username that is identical or related to a handle used on another part of the internet...it starts to be less anonymous.

We are clear about our privacy practices in our privacy policy, which is accessed via the footer on every page.
all information online, stays online
This is true. Even when something is deleted, the internet has vey likely cached it, and it could be dug up again.

Any more questions on this, please open a help-ticket. I've moved this thread to the Administrative forum, for a better fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back