• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

News Just A Place To Convey Our Condolences Re Ft. Lauderdale

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am also praying for all the witnesses and people who feared for their lives in this horrific event and then had to stay on the airport grounds for hours and hours without food, water, etc. I pray they all recover without coming down with PTSD.

It's so tragic and awful. :(

As soon as I heard of the death toll, and how it was "only" 5 people and not 30-40... I began to think that maybe this was a person who had a personal issue with someone (like a gang shooting) and I feared it was a mental health situation.

Righ now, it appears based on the info coming out so far, that it was a decorated Iraq combat vet who got into an altercation on the plane, who had a history of recently telling the FBI he was hearing voices telling him to fight for ISIS, and was sent to the hospital...

Which sadly helps explain why the death toll was not higher. He wasn't well enough to kill more people. He didn't pre-plan this well in advance, yet he still killed so many.

I also selfishly cringe at how this will fuel stigma of those with mental illness for those of us with PTSD and especially for combat vets.

Meh, so I see the shooter may get the death penalty. I think the death penalty is barbaric and primitive. Yes, it is unbelievably horrible when a person kills other people, but any Christian (and lots of others) know we've gone beyond an eye for an eye, or at least we should be beyond that in the 21st century. The US is part of a select club of countries that still do the death penalty: Saudi Arabia, North Korea . . . need I go on? From what I know of what we know about this guy so far is that he needs to be in a mental institution, perhaps for the rest of his life. It sounds to me like his major problem is schizophrenia, which usually doesn't lead to violent action, but in a few cases does. So, we're going to kill someone for having a violent case of schizophrenia, which he certainly didn't ask for? Shudder. To me, that's about as bad as what he did. Actually, worse. Because the state knows what it's doing. He quite possibly didn't.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back