• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

DID Just because i have voices does that mean i have did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoie33

Confident
So I spilled the beans about everything to my therapist today all the horrible details the voices in my head which I think are just my brain telling me that I'm a piece of s*** or whatever anyway with everything that happened in therapy he now thinks I might have DID. I sad that I don't have that and he said well there's a hole spectrum of it. I think there is a lot to talk about yet and understand. Just looking for opinions.

No, it doesn't. I compulsively argue out loud with myself when my intrusive thoughts are particularly intense:
"I hate you. No I don't. It's okay. God I wish you'd go die. NO."

I don't have DID. I was diagnosed with DDNOS, but my current T doesn't agree with that.

Thanks Simply Simon. I'm sure me and my therapist will discuss this much more going forward. Just out of curiosity what does your carry current therapist think you have?

I'm D.I.D. and so many times it's so quiet in my head it's driving me nuts.

And whoever's not 'me', them /too/.

When we're dragging, it's a team action & f*ck off to things abusers& had to say to all of us. A goodie.

I'm a piece of s***
I told my therapist about the voices a while back. She wouldn't say I was DID even when I said that's what I thought. Yesterday I told her about it again as part of the resistance I have about continuing EMDR. She said I needed to work on my "self-love". She said I should start by telling that part of my with all that self hatred that I'm sorry he had to experience all that bad stuff, and that I would fix it if I could. I think my therapist is right about that. I'm going to try it for a while and see what happens.

I'm just so confused I always thought the main voice is the one that's always mean to me was just kind of like my thoughts in my head until Tuesday when it was wanting me to do something I didn't want to do and I started mentally arguing back with it I don't know how do you know if it's just your thoughts or if it is a voice then again yesterday I had to help her voice that came out that I noticed for the first time I guess I'm just confused whether they're really voices or just my internal thoughts

I guess I'm just confused whether they're really voices or just my internal thoughts
I have voices in my head that don't sound like me. I've also hallucinated foreign, unfamiliar voices (that I sometimes think are real). It doesn't mean I have PTSD, psychosis, or schizophrenia. It is what it is. In my case, I'm not sure a separate dissociative Dx would change anything for me; dissociation is absolutely my #1 symptom and the one that is most often addressed in therapy.

ETA: I've also experienced regression, complete with voice change, without realizing the change, BUT I was not dissociated. I've also fully dissociated but continued to talk and interact under extreme stress, lost time, that sort of deal. Still, not sure seeking a DID Dx would really affect my treatment considering I work mostly on dissociation anyway.

Thanks again Simply Simon. I'm not so much worried about the diagnosis anymore. At this point I'm just trying to understand what's really happening. I guess my main mean voice is more male and my helper voice is more female or more like my own voice. This is just all so new to me and I've always been the type of person that has to understand things. There really isn't any understanding that i can see when it comes to this which is what I feel the worst about. I can say that I feel a huge sense of relief and I feel much at peace now that everything is out more than just a voices I spilled all the beans today. It feels good to no longer be constantly tormented by it.

A lot of Ts will talk about a person's "internal dialogue", which is the constant stream of "thoughts" in our head. When we refer to them as "thoughts", it sometimes confuses the situation and makes it sound like it shouldn't really seem like a 'voice'.

Actually, for a lot of very level-headed people, it's much more like a 'dialogue'. Oftentimes it becomes really chaotic, particularly if you're unsure, emotional or conflicted about something. And for plenty of people, it can become a really crowded, noisy place upstairs sometimes.

I have DID, and since working in therapy and getting to know my parts, we have conversations in my head every day. Sometimes one of my parts will interrupt me in the middle of an activity and it's just plain annoying.

Thing is, that before I started getting to know my parts - I didn't really know they existed at all. They didn't ever talk to me. DID takes an average of 7 years in therapy to diagnose, because it's not obvious or overt - it actually survives by being covert. So it quite often takes work for a person to be able to 'get in touch' with their parts.

The point of that is not to say "You don't have DID". Not at all. If it's concerning you? Raise it with your T.

The point is more to say that DID oftentimes doesn't present as "internal dialogue" - to the contrary, it usually takes a concerted effort to get that dialogue going. And for a lot of people in this world, their head is often a really noisy, chaotic place, and there's nothing to pathologise there at all.

Frankly, I think it's good to have questions, it's good to want to know, to understand. But in this case, what you're experiencing may be fairly consistent with someone who has a lot (like, A LOT) to deal with. It wouldn't be unusual for someone under a lot of pressure, dealing with some really tough things, to have a lot of different conflicting thoughts, and even for some of your own thoughts to be quite distressing (like, phwoar, where did THAT idea come from!). That makes sense to me. So be gentle with yourself, and your head - you're dealing wih a lot of difficult stuff at the moment.

And if you're concerned or have questions about it, do raise it with your T. They are best placed to give you insight into whether there's a dissociative disorder possibly in the mix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back