• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Just Got Back From Psychiatrist... MY GOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortiis31

Learning
Hi all!

Just got back from my psychiatrist (if you can call the mother****a that).
I took a mental Health Advocacy woman with me, who took notes and asked important questions.

The main purpose for seeing him was to organize a case worker who would deal with me one-on-one, reintergrating me into society, helping me with certain issues etc.

The psychiatrist was clearly pissed off (and it showed in his mannerism and everything he carried about him), and he basically said flat out NO, because PTSD Psychiatric disorder , only the effects of it are!

I saw red - I wanted to grab him by the throat and choke him right there in his ****in office. Something in me controlled my actions, enough for him to prescribe me with Effexor XR.

Can someone please HELP!

Bec,
She said that the answers he gave were typical of the Mental Health System in New Zealand, and unless proven otherwise, there are hundreds like me floundering around through life with no help what so ever...

So did she say she would help you. She is an advocate, that is her job. Don't give up. It took me well over a year to even get referred for help here in Canada. I'm still going up hill in the therapy department. You have to become "pro-active" (which means you advocate for yourself) towards obtaining help. Don't quit, don't give up, get all the information you can and keep hounding for information, help and answers.

bec

I'm sorry to hear that mort. I've had a lot of bad experiences with doctors. It seemed like none of them wanted to help. They just want to write a prescription and shove me out the door. Most of the healing I've done is on my own through research and reading. I'm not sure, but I think you could get better help from this forum then a psychiatrist unless he specializes in PTSD. My new doc recommended I find this site because he does not specialize in this illness and knows there are a lot of issues. A good doctor he is for knowing he doesn't know all of the answers and really wants me to be well. That is the type of doctor everyone deserves.

Hang in there!
Tammy

Im sorry to hear this too Mort.... unfortunately england, in my experiences, can be the same. I totally agree with bec... at least here it is commonly said that whoever shouts the loudest gets the help. You really have to advocate for yourself as well as using anything and anyone else who can help you along the way. For me, its like sifting throught the bad ones to find a good one... and when you get one, hang onto it and make the damn well best of it.

Good luck, wish I could give you some more immediate advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back