1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Law enforcement ptsd

Discussion in 'Military & Emergency Services' started by Peaceful Warrior, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior Member

Are there any former Leo's that have obtained ptsd from being a law enforcement that still enjoy the history of the profession or agency? Like looking through old pictures of the patrol cars that were used before your time, etc?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. FragileGlass

FragileGlass Active Member

A friend of mine is a former police officer with our National Police Force which is known as the RCMP up here in Canada. It’s full of crazy long standing history. My friend got clocked for PTSD and can no longer perform. But he was incredibly proud of his time, his performance, his investment. While he hates being sidelined, he’s proud because his fall is in solidarity with colleagues lost. He started collecting old memorabilia, old uniforms, badges, photographs. He calls the collection his badge of courage and pride of time served. He’s proud of the time he put in. I won’t give away the event that dropped him. Nothing wrong with appreciating the past :)

blackemerald1, shimmerz and LuckiLee like this.
  4. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior Member

Makes sense. I have the same history interest I had before being diagnosed, I just try and avoid anything current or that could be a trigger for the event in 2011. I had been around law enforcement my whole life, grandfather and father both Leo's and i got involved in the explorer program at 14, so even though we aren't what we do, I feel it's still a part of me.

blackemerald1 and FragileGlass like this.
  5. FragileGlass

FragileGlass Active Member

My friend, you deserve to feel that pride and sense of significance to the history in which you served. I’m happy you’re avoiding your time frame but very proud that you’re embracing the legacy. Try to remember, whatever brought you to where you are today, you ran forward against everyone running away. Even if it that doesn’t describe the moments that hurt you. There were still countless times you ran forward against the fold. Enjoy the history! Feel proud of the work you put in.

blackemerald1, LuckiLee and Freida like this.
  6. Peaceful Warrior

Peaceful Warrior Member

Well spoken. Thank you.

FragileGlass and blackemerald1 like this.