• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Letting it out....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddyt

Sponsor
Kind of at the end of my therapy session my T was talking about "letting it out" and that I probably need to be better at doing that.
Letting it out scares me though. I know my dysregulation issues too and what if I don't know where to stop? The only way I have ever "let it out" is in dangerous and unhealthy ways.

I didn't do much more than hear my T mention it at therapy, as we did lots of EMDR stuff and I was getting therapy hang over at that point.

So, I guess, what are your health ways of letting it out?

I know my dysregulation issues too and what if I don't know where to stop?

gentle empathy, freddy. when the dam of my repression breaks, it all too often gushes at tsunami force levels. the detritus floating in those floodwaters can hit a listener like a freight train. what's a ticking time bomb to do?

my first step toward taming this demon was/is my therapy journal. leaving that verbal vomit on paper goes a long way toward easing the repression.

my second step is to lean within my peer support network. my therapy peers have some clues what i am going through and know better than to let themselves drown in my verbal vomit. friends and family all to often jump in and drown with me.

but that is me and every case is unique. in my own case, the good news is that once i got past the huge reservoirs of repressed emotions, my dysregulation issues eased, as well. processing my emotions as they arise eases the pressure on the proverbial dam.

steadying support while you find what works for you.

Journaling, dance, drawing, piano, and walking are solo ways. Talking to people I trust on a level that feels comfortable to me, even if I don’t go too deep, helps dilute the feelings. Being vulnerable with the right people gives me confidence that I can talk about stuff when I’m ready.

Burn it off...It used to mean things like a ride on my motorcycle at insane speeds (250 kph +) doing other doing dangerous things until there was no adrenaline left and I was exhausted. Or beating the hell out of stuff/wrecking stuff at work. I always kept a project around I could use up all my energy on.

Anything where I could let my rage take the lead and just burn it out.

Burn it off...It used to mean things like a ride on my motorcycle at insane speeds (250 kph +) doing other doing dangerous things until there was no adrenaline left and I was exhausted. Or beating the hell out of stuff/wrecking stuff at work. I always kept a project around I could use up all my energy on.

Anything where I could let my rage take the lead and just burn it out.
Aha! <wide grin> Now you’re speaking my language 😎

It’s been a rough few days, been meaning to reply, will hit back soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back