• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Life after hospitalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theasylumsystem

Confident
It's been a month since I was in the hospital

I've had to face some tough truths about everything I'm going through and everything I've been through
I am still so anxious around people. I'm not magically fixed. My memory is still shit.
I just... I wish I was free from all of this. I'm so tired.
I think I have to rehome my dog which is so f*cking hard.
He's reactive around people and I need a service dog that can handle public access so that I can feel comfortable living my life.
but I want to be selfish. I know he'd be happier somewhere else and I need to move on and get another dog but I don't want to. I don't want this anymore. I just want to keep my boy. I just want everyone to leave us alone

I'm not magically fixed.
The frustration of this is immense. Like, you go through all of that hospital time, and come out the other end and life is still hard.

I hear you. But know that you have so much more knowledge under your belt now. So you’re way ahead of where you were when you were admitted. Which is progress. And progress is always a massive achievement.
He's reactive around people and I need a service dog
Can you start planning? The emotions tied up in this may make you want to throw your arms in the air, but there’s a lot you can do to get a good outcome for everyone, with you in control of the process.

On the one hand, getting a service dog can take a while. While you’re planning and organising that, doggy can stay right where he is with you.

On the other, jump online and start researching different rescues in your area. They aren’t all created equal, and some of the smaller more obscure ones can be the best option (they can also be the worst - knowledge is key). Some no-kill rescues are small enough that they can accommodate dogs in foster homes till a suitable new family is found.

gentle empathy, asylum. perhaps the number one problem i've had in my own recovery is keeping the slow pace. i've invested a WHOLE MONTH on this program. why ain't i cured yet? my microwave only needs 5 minutes to cure a potato of being too hard! ! ! why am i the same hard case i was a month ago?

sigh. . . is there no cure for the common me?

be gentle with yourself and patient with the process.
time has no meaning in the healing process. ~Algonquin proverb

Can you start planning? The emotions tied up in this may make you want to throw your arms in the air, but there’s a lot you can do to get a good outcome for everyone, with you in control of the process.
Too true.....I had to put down my cat (21 years old) not long ago. Being prepared helped tremendously with moving on. If you look close enough there are benefits for you and the dog both.
And you will have a new friend that can help you with stress instead of creating it.

The frustration of this is immense. Like, you go through all of that hospital time, and come out the other end and life is still hard.

I hear you. But know that you have so much more knowledge under your belt now. So you’re way ahead of where you were when you were admitted. Which is progress. And progress is always a massive achievement.

On the one hand, getting a service dog can take a while. While you’re planning and organising that, doggy can stay right where he is with you.

On the other, jump online and start researching different rescues in your area. They aren’t all created equal, and some of the smaller more obscure ones can be the best option (they can also be the worst - knowledge is key). Some no-kill rescues are small enough that they can accommodate dogs in foster homes till a suitable new family is found.
Thank you I'm trying to be okay with just knowing that I'm further along on my journey than I think but it's just the feeling that I haven't made any progress is so frustrating and difficult to deal with.

I'm lucky enough that I have some ideas for people to take him and some more resources to get him to a good home, even temporarily until I finish school and get on SSI (which finally feels like it's moving forward). It's just painful. I'm hoping to move forward with it soon I'm just not emotionally prepared despite knowing how much better it will be for both of us. i

Too true.....I had to put down my cat (21 years old) not long ago. Being prepared helped tremendously with moving on. If you look close enough there are benefits for you and the dog both.
And you will have a new friend that can help you with stress instead of creating it.
Yeah it's definitely going to be good for both of us I just feel like I failed him you know? It's hard either way thank you for your kind words

gentle empathy, asylum. perhaps the number one problem i've had in my own recovery is keeping the slow pace. i've invested a WHOLE MONTH on this program. why ain't i cured yet? my microwave only needs 5 minutes to cure a potato of being too hard! ! ! why am i the same hard case i was a month ago?

sigh. . . is there no cure for the common me?

be gentle with yourself and patient with the process.
time has no meaning in the healing process. ~Algonquin proverb
it's so hard to feel like you're too broken to fix thank you for understanding and for your empathy I appreciate you

Yeah it's definitely going to be good for both of us I just feel like I failed him you know? It's hard either way thank you for your kind words
It is a difficult thing. I re-frame that with - am I doing whats best for him now? Yes there are always doubts you did the right thing but if a service dog is the right thing, then so is a home where you dog can run free and only have a few people to deal with........and you have time to find the right fit for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back