• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Links to music videos I really identify with

nekograssman

New Here
Sometimes I love music by itself, but I also love music videos so much. So here is a thread beginning a collection of links to music videos that resonate with me, as well as an exploration of why the videos resonate so deeply with me.

First link: Hell Is Round the Corner by Tricky (link redirects to Tricky's official Youtube channel)

Brief description of the video: Tricky, the artist, is sitting on a bed and he begins to float around the room. The music is very ... languid, and his deep voice fades in and out of the melody. He occassionally shakes his head and blurs to transform into a woman (Martina Topley Bird, excellent vocalist btw) - but there's a moment where he shakes his head and stays "himself" and the music sounds hopeful in that moment.

In this song, Tricky and Martina Topley Bird's voices fade into and out of each other, and sometimes it's hard to tell who is speaking. Most of the lyrics are extremely indistinct and hard to make out, except for these three lines that finish off the song:

Heat from the sun somedays slowly passes,
Until then, you have to live with yourself.
Until then, you have to live with yourself.

At the end of the video, the doors to the room open and Tricky floats through them and the entire image fades to red.

Trivia: This song comes from the album Maxinquaye, which is named after Tricky's mother.

My reaction to this song: I can so relate to the idea of floating around a bedroom, of looking around and not really understanding where you are. Of how life can feel like a blur. I can relate to the theme of maintaining your own identity in the face of your abuser trying to impose their identity onto you, to make themselves your entire universe. And I especially love the compassionate tenor of "you have to live with yourself" - to me, it speaks to the importance of forgiving yourself, because it is what brings him out of the room and hopefully towards the future.

Back