• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Living where the trauma took place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaylove498

Confident
I live in the house where two major traumas took place in my life 6 months apart.
When I come home I can tell I'm numb again and I don't want to be.

I disconnect from myself and everything else.

Is there any coping strategies to move on from what's happened or to reconnect with the ones I live with and connect back with myself?

I knkw it's a healing process and I've gotten way better but I do need to work better at connecting I just don't know how.

EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing - um I can’t really explain it properly in detail, but it involves a specially trained therapist leading you through trauma using moving fingers or paddles, or sometimes a beeping sound, to help simulate rapid eye movement.
If you google it lots of things come up and there are threads in here about it.

Comprehensive Q&A With Francine Shapiro, Inventor Of Emdr

I've found EMDR to be helpful to me as well. But I can't really explain it either.

I will say that EMDR is very different from any other form of talk therapy that I've received.

KayLove, do you see a therapist?

I've been through trauma as well, but not in the house I live in.

Feeling numb and disconnected is really normal...sorry your living in a place that makes you disassociate. EMDR is on the money. Grounding exercises like the 5,4,3,2,1, technique or breathing, feeling the earth beneath your feet...a frozen orange in hand can help bring you back.

I'm trying to remember iop. If you are triggered you shouldn't ground because you don't want to make that trigger/feeling connect with being being grounded. If that makes sense.

EMDR, as far as I understand it, helps to regulate the nervous centre when it is jacked up. EFT uses eye movement as well to shift energy caused by upsetting or traumatic events.

I don't know if this is possible, but about 6 months ago I painted this place. Every room of the house. On my own. It was good for me in so many ways, but honestly since I have painted in here I feel so calm here. It literally feels like a warm hug walking in here. I love it. Is there a chance you can adjust the space so that it feels differently to you?

I know this exact situation and it’s horrible so I get it. Something my T has been working with me on for it is creating new safety out of the existing space.

For instance, my room now has several little things (candles/night light/fairy lights/etc) that make it more my own and less like the original area. Putting up positive things, or things that create a sense of comfort (fluffy pillows/weighted blanket) help quite a bit. Along with ensuring there is a lock on the door and boundaries are set that your space is respected by others.

Not gonna lie, it’s not perfect and some parts are hard as hell. I still struggle constantly because just being in different areas of the house are hard. But creating a haven and finding reasons to be out of the house (work/meeting with friends/classes) do help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back