Sufferer Looking again at how much PTSD still effects my life and I don't really know what my next step is in recovery.

KayW

Learning
PTSD was at its worst over 10 years ago now. My symptoms are very reduced and I function well in some areas of life. But I remain avoidant of close relationships and struggle with relationships with people that have authority over me, such as bosses or lecturors. Im currently studying peychology and counselling and as a recommendation of the course, Im back in tberapy. This has highlighted how much I rely on avoiding trauma or triggers to keep well. Its making me look again at how much PTSD still effects my life and I dont reallt know what my next step is in recovery.

arfie

MyPTSD Pro
hello kay. welcome to the forum.

i started psychotherapy around a quarter century before ptsd theories were being published. it was a few more years before my bipolar dx was changed to ptsd. i still use quite allot of the tools i learned in bipolar therapy. if i had waited until i knew what the next step would be before i got to work on improving my mental health, i'd probably have suicided a long, long time ago. the important part is to keep stepping. joining this forum is a mighty fine step toward figuring out the next step.

welcome aboard.

Friday

Welcome to the community!

Im currently studying peychology and counselling and as a recommendation of the course, Im back in tberapy. This has highlighted how much I rely on avoiding trauma or triggers to keep well.
<rueful grin> I did the opposite… an entire BS (short a synthesis paper, I was multi-majoring and didn’t want to have to pay post-bacc prices), and I never once sat through even a single lecture on trauma &/or PTSD. Not once. Just bounced out of my chair and went off to do other things. Didn’t even realise it, until retrospect. I just common-sensed the answers on tests. Really infuriated me, once I decided to dig deep into this whole ptsd/trauma thing. So much wasted time! 🤣 Arrgh. Ah well. C’est la vie.

Welcome @KayW !

Yes I never could figure out why I worked out best with Veterans and related to their behaviours, seemed pretty 'normal' to me. (Doesn't everyone do perimeter checks while they brush their teeth? lol). Actually I think we got along because of what we didn't have to say, much was mutually genuinely understood without trying. KInd of a relief.

Hope you get much help and support here! ☺️