1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Daily Dose

Get the last 24hrs of new topics delivered to your inbox.

Click Here to Subscribe

Looking For Ex Cult Members / Cult Survivors

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by johannakat, Dec 27, 2016.

1. johannakat

johannakat New Member

My mom joined a cult when I was six. I left when I was 15/16 (it was hard to leave) but believed in everything they'd told me till I was 17.

The trauma is catching up.

Anyone else here who was raised in a cult?

xox

oh and it was Jehovah's Wittnesses

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2016
    dulcia, Chiqui, TreeHugger and 2 others like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Fadeaway

Fadeaway I'm a VIP Donated

Pentecostal Nazarene. Not technically a cult but my step grandfather took fundamentalist Christianity to extreme levels. That was 20 years ago. Still have some scars but mostly healed from that aspect of my life.

CrowFeather, MariaY, GrayOwl and 2 others like this.
  4. 7Cs

7Cs Well-Known Member Donated

Born into but not raised in.

I was a year and a half old when the state took me away.

The cult was called the Christ Family.

C j, MariaY, GrayOwl and 4 others like this.
  5. Eagle3

Eagle3 Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in a fundamentalist Christian cult as well...was trained for ministry since birth. I got out at the age of 30, but still have to deal with a lot of the brainwashing. Honestly, I didn't realize there was anything wrong with the way I was raised until I got out of that crowd and started hanging out with normal people...then it hit me hard. People don't realize the dangers of spiritual trauma, which often includes other forms as well.

saraemerald, shimmerz, C j and 6 others like this.
  6. Ronin

Ronin Dark Wings Premium Member

Ish.

As in at this point? IDGAF for my sanity. They can all bite me.

C j, Friday and Lauren Taylor like this.
  7. Teamwork

Teamwork Active Member

Yes but none of the above mentioned. Working in therapy on what is truth. But dissociation interferes greatly with a lot of the current work.

8. saraemerald

saraemerald Well-Known Member

Me too! And that's partly why I'm on here

MariaY likes this.
  9. Teamwork

Teamwork Active Member

Do you refer to yourself as ritual abuse survivor or cult survivor? I'm from ra abuse, but haven't seen it talked about much here?

shimmerz, Ronin and MariaY like this.
  10. lostforgottensoul

lostforgottensoul I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

I was raised in a cult headed by my step dad and mother.

MariaY and Links like this.
  11. Rainstorm Red-Smith

Rainstorm Red-Smith New Member

Being adopted is like living in a cult where they live in a fantasy world detached from reality. Surviving adopted childhood is escaping the adoption cult where the chronic childhood abuse that you experienced is denied by the adopted child's handlers. Where you must survive by pretending that you believe what they say and wear the "adopted-child role" at all times, never allowing your true self to be seen.

12. chant2012

chant2012 Well-Known Member

I was. Christian Fundamentalist. Very damaging stuff. You're not alone. There was so many good things but also so much trauma, brainwashing, and abuse. I was born into and raised in it. Isolated from "outsiders" and yeah lots of things. Ugh.. shudders.

13. lostforgottensoul

lostforgottensoul I'm a VIP Premium Member Sponsor $100+

The cult I grew up in was made by my step dad. He had a bible typed up.

All of it is typed here (please be aware of very graphic content): https://www.myptsd.com/c/threads/upside-down.58876/

But to give you the basic concept:

Many horrid rituals "because god said to" and many punishments which was actual torture because god said to.

I am fighting to gain control of my brain again. It literally works on its own without my control reciting their bible. Blame was finally shifted off of me and onto them after 7 years in therapy, here on this site last Jan. I was told by my therapist (as you can't really be diagnosed with something not in the DSM) that I had Stolkholm Syndrome. I worked through that now and I can call it abusive now. I struggle with other words like "horrible" or even "bad" but working on it. I have stopped the rituals. I still struggle with the punishments and don't have full control of my brain but working on it.

It is very hard to recover from growing up in a cult. That's for sure!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    saraemerald, Fadeaway and Chiqui like this.
Show Sidebar