1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for help

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by curtain, Jul 10, 2018.

1. curtain

curtain New Member

I have to share my story and I hope to find some new clues/recognition here.

I don't want to, but I have to. I don't know if I belong here, but maybe it will help me find a place where I belong and where I can find some peace. It's a start, I hope.

I started self-harming in adolesence. In that same period of time my character changed, not for the good, and people started worrying about me. I remember hating myself, being afraid, alone, silence, I remember worrisome toughts and feelings but not concrete happenings that lead to those (the toughts or feelings also don't give clues). For me, for a long time, self harming was THE problem that caused family problems, so badly that I am still not in touch anymore with any familymembers. I provoked it but I cannot make it right. I am far into adulthood right now. It hurts and it prevents me from living my life. It causes crises.

I wish it would make sense why I started self harming, then the rest of my life would make sense and I can move on from it. Was there a trauma (wich is what everyone seems to think)? Was family involved? Was it 'just' puberty?

I am seeing a therapist for 3 years now... I find it difficult to speak. Just shortly I found a way to tell my biography. But I don't notice any effects... Am I on the right path?

I still haven't found myself back after the last crises few years ago... I feel like just moving on (I am good at it) is not an option but what then?

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Justmehere

Justmehere Help support myPTSD - more info in Social forum Moderator Premium Member

Sharing your biography is a good idea, as it will help the therapist better understand you and develop a plan to move forward and reach your goals for therapy.

Is the goal of therapy to reduce being in crisis and control symptoms and/or to develop a greater sense of self?

There are a lot of reasons why adolescents self injure. As kids grow up into adults, one of the more difficult tasks is learning how to regulate emotions. There are many things that can pop up, trauma being just one of them, that can make learning emotion regulation difficult. Self injury is often a way to cope with or express emotions that otherwise feel overwhelming. It is a sign that coping skills are not matching the need to regulate painful emotions.
    Can you explain more about this? You don’t have to answer if you don’t want.

joeylittle likes this.
Show Sidebar