• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

ADHD Looking for those with adhd / add and ptsd diagnosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have both. Both are pretty sever in most cases. I was diagnosed with add when I was about 7, and treated then with medication. It didn't work well with me, and I ignored my add until about a year ago, when my then new t started pointing it out to me. Lets just say I HATED the idea. Still hard to wrap my brain around it, but I am more accepting of it now.

I think the group chat is good...and sorry I didn't read all the responses. (I am mostly dealing with my add right now, hence can't focus to well these days.) I am part of support group locally that has helped me a lot, I would imagine there would be one in your area.

Great info alb...

I will share this with T and others. I myself no longer use sugar in my coffee for a number of reasons. Thankfully my sis has pretty much gotten rid of sugary snacks around as well so that is a great thing. Sure I have now the ocaisional coke or snack but I have significantly reduced sugar intake but for me the symptoms I seem to suffer really have not decreased but increased but then again we are also dealing with PTSD as well and issues I am dealing with may be the result of the PTSD as per T's , P and independent research.

I am glad u found a solution to your specific situation. I am very open minded and definitely will check out the book and re vist the studies you cited that were conducted. The amazing thing I have found out that ADHD symptoms vary so greatly from person to person I am careful to suggest a B all that ends all but this information u shared looks promising. I am learning to look at studies carefully in that when I reseach the results of a study that offers great insight and hope quite often the ability to replicate the same results seem to vary greatly. One of the reasons I believe is the symptoms and results can be sqewed based upon observations that maybe subjective.

I have seen and evaluated so many scholarly and scientific reports and studies my head is ready to explode. Dopamine and the neurotransmitter systems and the re-uptake process I suspect are a major factor in the symptoms of ADHD. That said I have not only seen reports of one dopamine receptor gene implicated (DRD4) but now they have possibly found even more. Also the use of PET scans have also showed interesting data for not only ADHD in general but have implicated specific areas of the brain that may target specific symptoms involved in the diagnosis ADD/ADHD. I agree that meds may not be the answer for all (i might be inclined to believe we over medicate) but to be honest I am not a scientist nor expert and believe there may be a need for different therapies for those suffering from different symptoms re this disorder.

Ayesha,

I wish u well in your journey in managing PTSD and ADHD. Not only do i deal with these issues with my T and P we also have support groups like CHADD and my local college offers not only specific mini classes to assist with issues that may impact the college experience if u have adhd they have a course class solely dedicated to ADHD.

I understand the med thing as i have an aversion to all meds but i do look forward to in a sense the option of using medication as a foundation in my bout in learning to manage both my adhd and ptsd.

Yes in our community college nursing (yes they have a 2 yr RN program) and health sciences are huge. They created a course elective solely on ADHD. Our mega health corporation (Large hospital) also has free seminars on a monthly basis for those with and supporters of ADHDers. Even the court systems and social service agencies in our county provide a sliding scale fee based service for those with ADHD (P,T and group counselling)

Thank you all for responding in this thread and some of you in private message here thru this forum and on skype and now AIM chat re ADHD and those that suffer from ADHD and PTSD.. I know how dificult PTSD is and ADHD is heck I am living them. I truly believe communication and sharring is of great value. It looks like the chat in this forum might be getting back on line soon(with some maybe new changes). That said if anyone would like to send me a private message here about some topics that may interest you I would be more then happy to create a list so hopefully we can get to your issues and try to keep the chat somewhat managed (OMG is this gonnna be interesting) I am going to share with you some of my experieces with some group therapies for adhd and ptsd I have been in. I will share with you because i want us all that are going to participate to hopefully get something out of it that we all can relate to and in someway help us all to better be able manage our symptoms and issues regarding these disorders and challenges that we are so lucky ot be honored with having and experience.

1 of 2 experiences.... I was part of a ADHD group that was sponsered by a a psycholgist whom had his Doctorite but I truly believe his ADHD was not well managed. He was all over the place and had no structure in the meetings we met only once a month and after about 6 months of going i stopped as I and many others gaiined little and left either frustrated more so then we started or just left in thinking there was no hope. This group had no structure at all as some came with questions written down some with the pre disposed notion they were going to get cured in one meeting some were there because someone close to them suffered and they just wanted to learn more about ADHD but were not privy to a well structured menu to satisfy the needs of all if not any... The problem in my and others opinions as well again there was not even a little structure.

A solution. That said I would like ours to have some structure. I am hoping we all can somehow find a way to come prepared as not just blurt things out to just be seen and heard for your own sellfish reasons but to show respect of all that are there (HENCE GROUP CHAT!). I have many things to share and many to learn. I hope all that will be joining understand the need for structure NOT ABSOLUTE AUTONIMOUS CONTROL in the group chat but structue. I am going to with the grace of gods help (ikes sorry bout that just a saying for me) create a very general outline of things we might chat and share about. Please if you have any topics that interest you please reach out and share with me so I can make sure it is covered in our first get together even if we just have time to just touch on it at least .

Again these questions, concerns statements can be shared on this thread or u can send me a private messsage. (I understand some peoples concerns over remainning anonymous if you feel the need to remain that way no problem as I understand and if you want something discussed but would like me to be the initiator I do not mind) I am vowing to be open and honest as to better manage these disorders IMHO there is no other way Trust me I have tried most others and often they led me to failure.

2 of 2- Another group that I belonged to was origianally for PTSDers we met almost every week The therapist that ran the group was a great leader she had structure (topic and time) but she kept the process going and offered great resources both through personal and clinical eperiences she had. Most of the group could not wait for the next sessions as she was understanding, knowledgable and a believer that could inspire hope. Sadly the group ended because many were manageing there issues well after spending time with this T in private and group sessions and did not need to come weekly. The burdens placed on this therapist became to great to maintain the consitency in schedualing it origianally had. Her physical health from illmess i think also was an issue for her and the facility that employed her. It turned out about 2/3 of the group had ADHD issues and the others had some type of other anxiety based disorders.

Starting the chat with a general structure and letting it morph as it will I think is a great way to move forward. Just like Anthony and Nicollete and others have aboslute control over the PTSD forum. I will not over this group chat but I will try to keep us between the lines. If it does not work big deal I tried but if goes in the direction it might I strongly believe not only will I but many others will benefit at some level.

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post... And I wish you all the best (including myself hehehe) the ability to manage your ADHD and PTSD diagnosis.

njray

To all interested in ADHD and PTSD group chat

Please refer to # 19 post prior to answering the questions I ask in this one. I would like to offer 2 days at 2 different times that I may be able to participate in these chats (but again because of my physical injury and symptoms I am not working and can offer flexibility as I also do not sleep much in regularity). The days and times I have in mind are tuesdays and or thursdays at 10:00 am and pm USA EST.

I suspect the chats might last about 1.5 hours. I tried to pick times that offered choice and hopefully limit outside stimuli to allow me to better focus and concentrate to effectively participate in these chats which are not for only your well being but mine as well. Please Please Please private message me as to what days/times work best for you out of the four I offered so I can notify all those interested.

Once the chat is reinstated I will notify everone of day(s) and times of goup ADHD chat(s). I will also at that time ask for suggestions of topics you might like to discuss so start your lists now...hehehe That is if you will find it when it is time for us to chat.... me I will have seven lists scattered throught the home and everywhere so do not feel bad but we will talk about this and other issues including procastination memory and such.

There is a video offered by Dr. Russel Barkley that touches lightly on ADHD combined with disorders like PTSD(Google "youtube Dr russel barkley ADHD") to find his and many others schollarly videos about combined disorders with PTSD. I might suggest you seek it out and research and gain knowledge about this very eye opening information from Dr Barkely and others valid and substantiated venues including Doctors, schollard authors, researchers and even sometimes biased pharmaceutical firms that you may find. AHHH learning/research......We are also going to maybe touch on learning and knowledge gathering techniques and disabilities and issues associate with adhd and ptsd as I suffer in this department and in talking and chatting with others these are issues others suffer from as well.

Thanks again I look forward to your private messages
nj

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back