1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SunDog

SunDog New Member

I've been having flashbacks the last couple of weeks and have noticed I have gaps in my memory. For example, I can't remember what I've been doing the last week. I feel like there are days missing when this happens. I remember snippets. But it feels like a faded old memory, not something recent. I actually feel like entire days are missing. Does anyone else experience this when they have bad episodes of flashbacks?

Just to clarify... I have not been drinking or taking any substances that would cause this. I know that much. I just can't remember anything but small portions of the last week. But I don't even remember what I did last night. It's blank. And thinking about it... My entire week is pretty blank. I write things down on a whiteboard so I remember what I have to do and tick it off when it's done. But if it wasn't for that I don't think I'd even know that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2018 at 12:22 PM
    Swift, Esterio and 420kitty like this.
  2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. Teamwork

Teamwork Active Member

Yes pretty much me, a lot of the time. I use the iPad to see what day it is otherwise I’m never really sure. I’m worse after a therapy appointment. Things just seem really vague and I can’t fill in the gaps as to what I’ve been up to.

420kitty and SunDog like this.
  4. TommySunlight

TommySunlight Active Member

this happens to me not sure exactly, often times it occurs acutely in the morning

SunDog likes this.
  5. Esterio

Esterio Well-Known Member Donated

Hi there Sun dog

First welcome to MS. I do the same thing kind of as you. I loose time example I set a steaming hot bowel of soup down and sit down and have a spoon full and it is stone cold, sitting at the computer talking on messenger to someone. They come back to me what happen to you , you haven't made a post in 45 minutes I look at the time stamp and I have not made a post. I have no recognition of time lost just the after effects. I was at sea fish for around 6 to 8 weeks coming in once per week to deliver fish. It was the biggest fish we ever had. I have two visions from that trip must have been they couldn't have come from any where else. My work mates could not believe that I remembered nothing from that trip. I have seen the log books with my entries so I had to be there it was my hand writing.

My T told me what was happening was I was dissociating and most likely have been for a long time maybe most of my life as things started to happen to me as a child before starting school. I have had multiple head injuries and right now Psychiatrist is doing test to find out the extent of brain damage I have or is it the Ptsd. She thinks my head injuries are getting in the way. Trying to research is hard as the last major head injury was 41 years ago, I was out of my home town and now they can not find the records of that accident. They can see very easily I have had severe head trauma but can't find the records. I hope this help some even though I have had head injuries and you may not have.

Peace be safe
    Esterio

TommySunlight and SunDog like this.
  6. SunDog

SunDog New Member

Esterio - I had a clock smashed over my head for a punishment when I was a child, but no ill effects as far as that goes. There are big gaps in memory where I know things happened. If I prod at the memories long enough, I remember in vivid detail what happened but after a couple of days it goes blank again. It's like a safe with memories locked in.

I just find it frightening not remembering where time went. I zone out and minutes go by without me noticing. But recently it has been a lot worse because flashbacks have been all over the place.

Thank you everyone for writing in. It is really reassuring just seeing that it's not just me. It helps me remember I'm not going mad even if it feels like it recently. I'm sorry you get this too. This usually only really happens very occasionally. I just feel like someone has cut out an entire week from memory.

Esterio and TommySunlight like this.
  7. Esterio

Esterio Well-Known Member Donated

"I just find it frightening not remembering where time went. I zone out and minutes go by without me noticing. But recently it has been a lot worse because flashbacks have been all over the place."
    I to am very scared off loosing time. I have no idea what happens in those times also I have no idea how much or how many times it happens. How do you know you are loosing time, I don't unless something or someone points it out to me. What have I done when I loose time. This happens mostly when my Ptsd symptoms are on high. So I am very careful when I drive and make sure that I stay present. Loosing time seems to be different from loosing memory but not sure how to describe it.

Peace be safe
    Esterio

SunDog and TommySunlight like this.
  8. Clarity480

Clarity480 Guest

I've been having a terrible time with this lately. I lose time. I lose memories. I know I have done things, but have no recollection whatsoever of any of it, which is really starting to scare me. I'm a recently divorced single mom, and this is the first time my son has been away from me dit this long, he's with his dad, but I know that's the main reason I dissociate, stress and flashbacks from my marriage. How do I stop myself from doing this? That's the real issue. I'm currently at a huge point of isolation coupled with dissociation, flashbacks and terrible anxiety. I can't remember to brush my hair some days, how do I trust myself to remember I need help. And finding help that's either free or very affordable. Which stresses me out even more, not being able to afford gift help I truly need.

Esterio likes this.
Show Sidebar