• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Made a Phone Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteraven

MyPTSD Pro
Ok, this feels really dumb to me, but it is definitely something I accomplished.

I used to be able to make multiple calls a day, getting things straightened out with businesses, etc. But at some point, this became an activity I simply could not do anymore. I have no idea what caused it, but I pretty much will do ANYTHING to avoid calling doctors or any kind of business I need help from or have an issue with.

I have, I think, four things on my list that need to be taken care of, but they require a phone call. They have been on my list since 2020--this is stuff like getting my dryer vent cleaned, updating my warranty for my car, and making doctor's appointments.

One of the things was having my insurance agent review documents my HOA sent so she could determine whether I had the required coverage. I'm almost always risking something by not calling (and because I'm deeply aware of that, it creates a lot of anxiety). Well...today I FINALLY called the insurance agent and she is helping me out.

It's such a stupid, small thing--I don't know why it's such an issue, but I'm so happy I did this one today!

Speaking as someone who hasn’t owned a phone since 2012, and often goes months between borrowing one, or using a hotel phones, etc. for a call?

Well done.
Wow, @Friday. I wish I could do that! Actually, I wish I could get rid of the internet, too. Both of my businesses and the volunteer work I do, though, requires it. Some day, I'd like to buy a house in the woods and get rid of all of it!

welcome to my world, raven. my hearing is not reliable and this stupidity has ALWAYS been a part of my world. i'd rather not feel stupid for having a handicap, but i get endless assumptions of stigmatic stupidity heaped on me when i say there is noting justy about making a phone call. as a result, i don't do doctors and conduct most of my business via text and email. having those tools at my disposal is a vast improvement over the pre-internet assumptions that "i JUST need to call." just just it all! ! !

another coping mechanism i use is to cultivate relationships with people who are willing to do some of those phone chats for me.

for what it's worth
i've lived off grid for several phases of my life. not even electricity or running water. while it eased my social anxiety tremendously, it also served as proof positive that people really do need people. can i be a grizzly bear, please? sigh. . . we is what we is and we ain't what we ain't.

i've lived off grid for several phases of my life. not even electricity or running water. while it eased my social anxiety tremendously, it also served as proof positive that people really do need people. can i be a grizzly bear, please? sigh
Oh, yeah...I do get that. The interesting thing with me is that I was good before all my friends died. And every one of them was someone I communicated with only online or by mail. I mean, I knew them from church and school; the only one I had never met in person I knew for over 20 years. But none of us had gotten together for at least 20 years. I had no real friends here, in person. They they all died (except one, who now has Alzheimer's), and I have no one. I don't like getting together with people, but I do so wish I had someone to write to.

I have, I think, four things on my list that need to be taken care of, but they require a phone call. They have been on my list since 2020--this is stuff like getting my dryer vent cleaned, updating my warranty for my car, and making doctor's appointments.
Congratulations for the phone call!

My descriptions of a telephone to my T? That thing.....one of the most terrifying inventions ever.

I hate phones and on mine? You are going to leave a message and I will call back because its on silent. If you want to talk to someone now - call my wife.

Ok, this feels really dumb to me, but it is definitely something I accomplished.

I used to be able to make multiple calls a day, getting things straightened out with businesses, etc. But at some point, this became an activity I simply could not do anymore. I have no idea what caused it, but I pretty much will do ANYTHING to avoid calling doctors or any kind of business I need help from or have an issue with.

One of the things was having my insurance agent review documents my HOA sent so she could determine whether I had the required coverage. I'm almost always risking something by not calling (and because I'm deeply aware of that, it creates a lot of anxiety). Well...today I FINALLY called the insurance agent and she is helping me out.

It's such a stupid, small thing--I don't know why it's such an issue, but I'm so happy I did this one today!
Households repairs and phone calls (whatever the reason) are two things with which I sometimes struggle. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back