• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone By Lori Gottlieb - Have you read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recovery4Me

MyPTSD Pro
Wanting more than TV to amuse while needing something to fill my sleepless night, I decided perhaps a self help book might offer hope to this insomniac. I knew her name, but couldn’t place where, until I engaged her book. At an inexpensive price through kindle…you can get both - an author who worked the dredges and influenced a few major NBC TV series (that you probably have seen) as well as a Therapist who offers in passing -a soap style Moving Forward gambit concerning wisdom in & of talk therapy.

Like any show that I normally watch, you may want to fast forward here and there but in the middle of doing so - I found technical terms, reminders of points of my own life in therapy while a deeper understanding of the whole process of all parties emerged. So far it has been an easy read with heavy points at time and there is talk of a real TV Series being derived from this book. I am offering my take because if your as bored plus sleep deprived as I am at times…you might possibly enjoy this book.

However, as it has been out for a little while (long enough to be recognized as a best seller, I was wondering if you had read it and what you have thought, felt or remembered during your read? Did you almost want to toss it (due to some familiarity of content) right before you ran into a part that drew you back in for the light bulb moment? And if you never have ventured to talk therapy, perhaps this read will allow a look at both sides of the coin and assist with any consideration of such down the road. Take care.

I read it. Nice little book about what it's like to be on the other side of the couch.

I'm a little confused and concerned about how she wrote about her clients the way she did, though. Especially the tv show guy. It basically sounds like she had the showrunner of the tv show House as a client. If she did, then shame on her for breaking client-therapist confidentiality. If it wasn't him, then shame on her for putting something extremely fictional into a nonfiction book.

@somerandomguy If you go/went to therapy did you run into a few principles or areas that you had addressed in your T session? I am still reading the book but I see newer slants on areas from my T sessions and many areas are richer or easier to address from her character portrayals of her ‘clients’ and that of her own therapy.

I honestly couldn’t recall discussing in Therapy that there were several stages associated with getting ready to change, moving forward and maintaining it. I didn’t consider that there was actual terminology used by therapist for each stage. There are other components as well that I have highlighted for further reflection. Is her Ted Talk any good? Thanks for adding your voice.

I finished the book. It is one that I will study certain parts for a bit, assisting me with a deeper understanding of the areas that I have and had been working on in therapy. As well it is timely, as I approach the end of my therapy (this time).

I have deep gratitude for her honesty in her own therapy progress as well as her character portrayal of her clients/patients. Seeing components of myself in each allows me to approach my various conflicting emotions, depression, physical illness, my clinging to my own mental prisons and to move forward in a clearer manner. She normalizes some of my fears while adding an perspective of humanism and self kindness within her words. It was like finding a friend along the journey to heal.

But mostly, this book gently reminds me in many ways of how precious our PTSD board is in order to connect ourselves with others that can offer the words…me too or those of - I understand. Take care and thanks for listening or any contributions to your views on the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back