medical marijuana?

Tomorrow is my first appointment with a psychiatrist in Illinois where weed has become completely legal and I was wondering if I should bring up getting a medical card? My therapist has recommended it along with my other medications and I was wondering if anyone else has one and if it helps? Any information would be awesome! Thank you in advance!! Have a great day!

I have one. It helps. There are many types of MMJ and many delivery systems, though, and it requires considerable fine tuning to figure out what type and which delivery system work best for you.

It works best when when used in conjunction with trauma therapy and other meds as necessary. MMJ cannot substitute for those things.

Friday

I smoked pot / ate hash oil (not legally, for the most part, although in some countries it was fine) the first time my PTSD got bad.

It helped about as much as any other drug I used. Ecstasy, MDMA/MDA (not for therapy purposes, just recreationally), LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline, Peyote, Opiates of many colours, Cocaine, Alcohol, Benzos, etc. Chemical Distance? // Better living through chemistry? Is just fawking useful, sometimes. Also, they have some well known downsides. Being able to choose my mood helped my PTSD absolutely not one iota... but they all helped me remain highly functional in my life. This time around? I decided to f*ck up my life in brand new ways, since I’d already done the other. The end result was that I DID avoid the inherent problems in habitual drug/alcohol use/abuse, but my life also took a rather steep nosedive. Comparatively.

So for me? It’s very much 6 of 1, Half a dozen of another. Pick which problems you want.

Last edited:

Gibson

Policy Enforcement
I've been nervous to try as I've thought it might exacerbate my symptoms. I had a friend offer me «medical grade» CBD, but I passed. Kinda wish I didn't. He went through great lengths to get it for me.

@Friday that's quite a list!

I've been in therapy for almost two years but I haven't touched on all the trauma yet. I have a hard time talking about it. Opening up. You say you've used psychedelia and related drugs recreationally. But what are your opinions on such drugs in a therapeutic setting? Whether it is MDMA/MDMA, LSD, Psilocybin, Mescaline, Peyote, or ayahuasca for that matter.

I never thought it'd happen, but two therapists have actually begun talking about such drugs to me, independent of each other, saying they might be key in a healing process, so on and so forth. One of them is a staunch and conservative woman.

Freddyt

Learning
Been using it for 3 years. I recently read Healing with Cannabis by Cheryl Pellerin. Its a fantastic read and full of current information. Well worth reading if you are considering cannabis therapy - or even if you are not. The connections being made between endocannabiniods/cannabinoids and chronic inflammatory illness and chronic stress are being researched and understood like never before.

Right now I use both CBD oil and THC in both oil and hashish form. Oils stay in your system longer so as an example before bedtime I use a couple sprays of THC oil, then use hashish, then when I turn in a couple more sprays of oil and I sleep. CBD is always. Three times a day. I find it damps down background anxiety and helps me recover faster when I do have stressful days and experiences.

The hard part is the how of cannabis therapy. Find a good clinic and they can help you get started and help you find a working solution for you. A huge help for me was journaling my experiences and effects. An inexpensive method is using an app like Strainprint that allows you to rate the effectiveness of your therapy on your symptoms and may lead on to improving the effectiveness of cannabis therapy. If you prefer paper there are a lot of paper journals available. Cheap ones are all the same and allow some space but there is at least one I found that has lots of room and prompts for rating products, their effects and their effectiveness.

Divine

New Here
I have a friend in LA who uses medical MJ for her PTSD and finds it very effective Im in the UK so I can't access that but I do smoke MJ for my PTSD, obviously what Im getting here isn't as carefully selected for my symptoms as a US MMJ but I find this effective and what I need after EDMR therapy to relax and not just be upset all evening. I find it really effective but do sometimes get more low level intrusive thoughts when I've smoked but they're less upsetting as I'm high.