medical marijuana?

Tomorrow is my first appointment with a psychiatrist in Illinois where weed has become completely legal and I was wondering if I should bring up getting a medical card? My therapist has recommended it along with my other medications and I was wondering if anyone else has one and if it helps? Any information would be awesome! Thank you in advance!! Have a great day!

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
I just wanted to mention that I agree with what @somerandomguy has said. There is a lot of fine-tuning involved in finding the right strain, dosage, and delivery system.

I am not supposed to know this but I personally respond well to a strain called, "golden goat". It lifts my mood, I am more upbeat and relaxed, get the giggles with it, and found that it slows my thoughts so that I can choose more carefully.
CBD can have some nice mood effects as well. There is a high CBD strain called Cannatonic here in Canada that really lifts my mood and feeling of well being.

Like @NoWhereKnowWhere is doing, microdosing is also a great way to go. Small doses in balance (same THC and CBD) can help mood and get you more functional. In balance CBD mitigates a lot of the psychoactive effects of THC and can make you more functional.

My big thing is staying as functional as I can and I have settled into a three prong approach. 1ml 20:0 (20mg CBD : 0mg THC) CBD oil when I get up and every 8 hours after that. 2 sprays THC oil after dinner, then flower/hashish as needed usually 2 to 3 inhilations at a time. For me it's like drinking at a party. I can get a nice buzz or get totally smashed, whatever works that day.

One thing no one has mentioned is when things go wrong. Paranoia and PTSD don't go well together. Have a list of paranoia mitigation strategies handy and be aware it can happen with products you have used before without a problem. Its a good reason to start with flower and vaping/smoking because the effects don't last as long as oil until you settle into a regime.

joeylittle

Administrator
Its a good reason to start with flower and vaping/smoking because the effects don't last as long as oil until you settle into a regime.
Also important to generally stay on the lower end of the preferred dosage, for the same reason. There are some longitudinal studies showing potential tolerance issues with long-term use for psychiatric purposes. (Might be the same with people who use it for pain, I've just not gotten that far in my reading).

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
Also important to generally stay on the lower end of the preferred dosage, for the same reason.
That should be a manta for all medications.....the least not the most.

Just be transparent on this the THC was first used because of my headaches, which turned out not to be headaches but recalled pain. Now its for sleep, or at least trying to sleep....
T
he problems with long term use are usually that dosages creep up over time and as is known, tolerance to a particular strain starts in about 10 days.

I use both a journal to record strains, effects, and duration, and an app called Strainprint to track every time I use cannabis. It tracks up to three symptoms you are treating, for instance anxiety, visual sensitivity, and intrusive thoughts, and assign each a before value and 20 minutes later after value. Over time it assigns an efficacy database for you. It will give you an efficacy value for each product and symptom. You also track how much you used by weight or puffs. I am diligent in recording use.

I know my T asks about it every session. She was very impressed with my level of tracking. I really think my behaviour there is due to previous opioid addictions. The last time I was addicted was truly hell on earth, the effects reversed ie: rather than make you dopey and tired it was like drinking a 6 pack of Red Bull. I don't ever ever ever want to go back there. It was truly hell. For the rest of my life I am three doses away from addiction again.

The only time my usage went up significantly was two years ago. I got really stressed at work and the nightmare came back really, really bad, like average less than 4 hours a night hours sleep a night bad. That and I had horrifying headaches for weeks at a time. At that point I had a huge swing in my thyroid levels as well and I thought it was all from that but hey guess what, its was a ticking 45 year old time bomb.....

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
I just got an mail from one of my medical suppliers to a radio/youtube series called Aging Better with Cannabis hosted by Gord Martineau. There are two episodes available now an two more to come. I found them very interesting and informative.
Canadian research over the last few years since legalization has been free and unencumbered and because they are not forced to use 20 year old G13 cannabis like a recent study published in the NEJM they are gaining real insight into how cannabis works.

enough

MyPTSD Pro
Thanks for this thread and all of the posts. Now I will Hi jack it unless a mod moves me elsewhere

Decision time for me. MJ has been legal here for several years, but still considered reason for termination where I work. Now, due to increased business and decreasing willing workers, they have lifted the screening for it. I have to decide on my own if I will use it or not and I am scared to death of it.

It was always the drug of choice, @Friday mentioned "choose your mood" and that is a resounding yep for me. trouble is, when I used it I never fell out of the mood, and would still be watching episodes of Mr. Ed and laughing at the talking horse if I hadn't decided to at least give real life a try. Then I went to work for a company that tested and that was the end of me having a choice.

There are a lot of times that I miss it. There are a lot of times I am grateful for having a life without it.

You know what? I am talking about the negative side of what I shouldn't even be looking at if I know it has ANY negative sides. The very question "should I use again" carries it's own answer.

Arthritic pain, a lifetime of trauma, bowel disorders from so many emergency surgeries i think in terms of suture scar lengths instead of events, I can convince myself I am lucky to have lived long enough to legally cure my ails.

the memories of lost energy, complacency in the face of danger, poor decision making skills and a vast history with the drug and all of it's associates both human and pharmaceutical just make me feel lucky I didn't have the option for the past 35 years.

Thanks again for all of the info. I cannot stay with a decision for more than a day at a time- i am spinning here. I do KNOW one thing for sure- I am proud of my "sobriety" and would miss it. It was hard to hang onto but just look at all the neat stuff that came with it! Maybe just a few more years..........

Freddyt

MyPTSD Pro
Arthritic pain, a lifetime of trauma, bowel disorders from so many emergency surgeries i think in terms of suture scar lengths instead of events, I can convince myself I am lucky to have lived long enough to legally cure my ails.
Most of what you mention can be treated with CBD rather than THC. No worries about getting intoxicated, and lots of relief. CBD is a start low and slow and build up until you are at full dose. I am now taking 1 ml of 0% thc and 20% CBD orally as an oil three times a day. So is my 80 year old mom.

She was gulping Tylenol Arthritis before I took her to my Cannabis doctor and now you would have to fight her to get her CBD away from her. Her arthritis is way better and even better her borderline type 2 diabetes is under better control than it has been in years, and she's not medicating for it. With the improvment in arthritis came better sleep, not laying in bed for an hour dreading getting out of bed. She is even reccomending CBD to all her friends now.