• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Meditation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roland

MyPTSD Pro
Tell me about your experience with meditation. I’ve heard of it really helping people with self awareness, relaxation, and stress management. Also even for aiding with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. How have you seen it help yourself? What does your meditation practice look like? What kind do you do?

I actually first became aware of negative sexual trauma energy trapped in my body when I was meditating and I’ll admit I haven’t done much since around that time. Because coming to that realization was overwhelming. In fact, I had forgotten about that until recently.

i have not done well with guided or ashram-style meditations and remain too hyper to sit doing nothing for much more that 10 or 15 minutes at a time. i have done far better with "train of thought" meditation where i observe my thoughts more than attempt to control them and with "walking meditation" where i ponder a theme and/or concept deeply while releasing the physical tensions that come with my hyper-active metabolism.

for what it's worth
inside my own herstory, serene acceptance of my life's dysfunctions remains the hardest part of remediating them. once i've achieved serene acceptance, the rest is mostly symptom management.

i have not done well with guided or ashram-style meditations and remain too hyper to sit doing nothing for much more that 10 or 15 minutes at a time. i have done far better with "train of thought" meditation where i observe my thoughts more than attempt to control them and with "walking meditation" where i ponder a theme and/or concept deeply while releasing the physical tensions that come with my hyper-active metabolism.

for what it's worth
inside my own herstory, serene acceptance of my life's dysfunctions remains the hardest part of remediating them. once i've achieved serene acceptance, the rest is mostly symptom management.
That makes sense, you know I just thought about how I don’t remember much from ages 6-9 and how I like don’t want to remember or relive that xD so much resistance

I don't do sitting meditation, but I do use mindfulness as much as possible. I use it throughout my daily activities. All mindfulness is at its core is awareness of the present moment, and I find it extremely helpful. The example I always use is doing the dishes. When I'm very depressed or anxious (and still can actually do the dishes), my mind is all over the place. But *mindfully* doing the dishes is just...doing the dishes. Paying attention to only that. The water, the fragrance of the dish soap, the texture of the dishes.

Took me a long time and lots of practice, but it is the single most important thing in my healing process.

I don't do sitting meditation, but I do use mindfulness as much as possible. I use it throughout my daily activities. All mindfulness is at its core is awareness of the present moment, and I find it extremely helpful. The example I always use is doing the dishes. When I'm very depressed or anxious (and still can actually do the dishes), my mind is all over the place. But *mindfully* doing the dishes is just...doing the dishes. Paying attention to only that. The water, the fragrance of the dish soap, the texture of the dishes.

Took me a long time and lots of practice, but it is the single most important thing in my healing process.
Oh that’s interesting, usually doing that when I feel anxious makes me disassociate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back