1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memories in therapy

Discussion in 'Treatment & Therapy' started by Pinkgiraffe, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Pinkgiraffe

Pinkgiraffe New Member

Has anyone ever remembered anything new, about their abuse, during a therapy session.
    We are just starting to look into the past and I know I have lots of things I don't remember, and I am scared about what will happen if this happens during a session.
    What has your therapist done if this has happened? And how do you handle it after?

Thank you.

Mara

2. Register to participate in live chat, PTSD discussion and more.
  3. piratelady

piratelady Not Broken Premium Member

I haven't yet, although my trauma processing has just started. That being said, this is also a pretty big fear of mine also. I had a post asking a similar question, and hopefully people will come and offer you their input, if I remember right, a lot of people never remembered anything new, a few did.

I sincerely think if you have a good, well trained therapist, they are going to know how to handle the situation and give you coping strategies to managed the symptoms outside of therapy. Right now, I'm banking on that trust with my therapist.

I hope some others come by and offer some more helpful advice. :)

Freida, Pinkgiraffe and Sietz like this.
  4. Sietz

Sietz I'm a VIP

Sometimes.
    Last therapy session, as soon as I walked in the office a memory I haven't though about in a long time resurfaced.
    But things like repressed stuff, never happened in session, some stuff comes like drops outside of session others a bit in an overwhelming way. Nothing I couldn't handle, even with crappy Ts. With a good T, even better.

You'll be alright.

Pinkgiraffe likes this.
  5. Freida

Freida Been There, Done That, Lived to Tell the Story Premium Member

yep. for a while there it was pretty much weekly. Then I started emdr and it got even worse. I won't lie -- a lot of it was HORRIBLE.
    A good T makes all the difference. Mine worked with me to builds up my coping skills, help me settle down afterwards, and helped me put it into context. Once I understood how the process worked it got easier - and it's been well worth it in the long run. T always reminds me - I already survived what happened - this is just the echo it left behind.

Show Sidebar