• 💖 [Donate To Keep MyPTSD Online] 💖 Every contribution, no matter how small, fuels our mission and helps us continue to provide peer-to-peer services. Your generosity keeps us independent and available freely to the world. MyPTSD closes if we can't reach our annual goal.

Study Memory details fade over time, with only the main gist preserved

Status
Not open for further replies.

myptsd

MyPTSD Pro
What information is retained in a memory over time, and which parts get lost? These questions have led to many scientific theories over the years, and now a team of researchers have been able to provide some answers.
5IIqcN7iR_E

Continue reading...

“It provides a tool to study maladaptive changes, for example in post-traumatic stress disorder where patients often suffer from intrusive, traumatic memories, and tend to over-generalize these experiences to novel situations.”

The above was copied from the article. The word ”novel” defines as a fictitious (not real or true) prose with some degree of realism. Although I am exceedingly pleased that an educational university received a research grant to move forward PTSD, I am somewhat sad at their public choice of words depicting our experience of trauma. To me, it feels like a form of discounting but again within our journey to be believed, healed or heard.

The word ”novel” defines as a fictitious (not real or true) prose with some degree of realism.
But the phrases “novel experience” & “novel idea” use the other definition of the word: new or original.

They were just trying to be fancy, saying that people with PTSD tend to overgeneralise traumatic events onto new events.

Like in the field? I can usually tell both the caliber and distance of the weapons being fired, or the rough size/type of explosions. No fuss no muss. Just more info running in the background.

When I start getting so jumpy here at home that even a book being dropped sets all my alarms blaring? (MAJOR fuss & muss 😉) I usually head to the firing range to start identifying the exact TYPE of bang! I’m hearing. Once I’m steady on with that, books dropping, cars backfiring, and fireworks? Aren’t a bother, much less am I throwing myself to the floor in response.

Or the cognitive distortions / core beliefs that after being assaulted by a man, that all men are dangerous. Or that all parents are abusive, or, or, or. The black & white thinking, overgeneralising, & labeling most of us are so eyeballs deep in.

@Friday understood as well as identify with range, ect exposure tactics and initial knee jerk reactions to stimulus. And yet, having been entrenched within academia (as you have), plus knowing colleagues whom specialized in research, grants plus publication or editing (those glorious English Majors) I am still disgruntled at their choice of wording. Perhaps it’s unreasonable expectations imposed on those actually doing the hard labor, however that’s just the type of curmudgeon I am.😉Thank you for sharing the reframe.

“It provides a tool to study maladaptive changes, for example in post-traumatic stress disorder where patients often suffer from intrusive, traumatic memories, and tend to over-generalize these experiences to novel situations.”

The above was copied from the article. The word ”novel” defines as a fictitious (not real or true) prose with some degree of realism. Although I am exceedingly pleased that an educational university received a research grant to move forward PTSD, I am somewhat sad at their public choice of words depicting our experience of trauma. To me, it feels like a form of discounting but again within our journey to be believed, healed or heard.
I’m not really understanding where you get the definition of fictitious for novel. Novel as an adjective , as used here means ‘new’. Novel as a noun is a different thing entirely, and not appropriate here.
I think it is entirely appropriate to describe my own personal memories as being transferred to new experiences and situations, in ways that are currently not helpful to me. The idea that research is being done investigating this I find very encouraging.

@Lucycat Thank you for sharing: the definition was from a dictionary. That is the joy of this site, everyone brings home a different take. In order not to derail the main focus of the article, I respectfully withdraw from any further conversation concerning my opinion. Thanks everyone! 🤗

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back